• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Confirmation of Births

gibbo

Loyal Member
Death for Joseph hayes, gives parents names.

11227/1887
HAYES JOSEPH
father STEPHEN
mother SUSAN
district PENRITH

I cant find much else on him, there are a few Joseph Hays that were convicts:2fun: :2fun: Seriously tho do you have any more info that may help to track him down?

Death for Joseph hayes, gives parents names.

11227/1887
HAYES JOSEPH
father STEPHEN
mother SUSAN
district PENRITH

I cant find much else on him, there are a few Joseph Hays that were convicts:2fun: :2fun: Seriously tho do you have any more info that may help to track him down?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

You may well laugh Gibbo, at me for all of my convict ancestors, maybe this is him convicted for life 1836 Warwick, Warickshire England. :2fun:

Wife Lucy Goodsell, looks like 2nd marriage for her after being married to a Mr Payne, or maybe just shacked up together,couldn't find divorce from first husband or marriage to Joseph, tho they had 4 kids, one of whom is my direct ancestor, Susan Goodsell Aller nee Hayes,remember her, the brick wall that took a while to crack open.

Joseph born 1813, father Stephen, Mother Susan Miller, according to one tree he was from Essex,where ever that is so any convict from there with that name will do. LoL

How to make a connection tho.

Oz

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
morning oz,
Does this mean anything to you? Might take a bit to confirm if his yours. I havent been able to find anything else out on him that would help as yet.

CONVICT

HAYES Joseph
SHIP Lady Kennaway
YEAR 1836
Ticket of Leave [4/4213; Reel 960]
District: Parramatta;
Tried: Essex ass

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Oz & gibbo,

I can't see a Joseph HAYES on the Transportation Database.

Also, can't find a birth in England for one with parents Stephen & Susan.

Regards,

Dave

gibbo

Loyal Member
I found this baptism/christening but dont think its him, wrong area and year.

NAME Joseph Hey
Baptism/Christening 1 May 1816
Baptism/Christening Place Keighley York England
Father Stephen Hey
Mother Susan

morning oz,
Does this mean anything to you? Might take a bit to confirm if his yours. I havent been able to find anything else out on him that would help as yet.

CONVICT

HAYES Joseph
SHIP Lady Kennaway
YEAR 1836
Ticket of Leave [4/4213; Reel 960]
District: Parramatta;
Tried: Essex ass
Proving it is another thing, i couldn't be that lucky, could i?.

Is there a date for ticket of leave or permission to marry?.

I wonder if we try to find a marriage for Susan Goodsell Hayes parents Joseph And Lucy and work back from there, although i think they might have shacked up.

Oz

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Oz & gibbo,

I saw that one in Yorkshire and dismissed it.

No sign of Permission to Marry but the database is incomplete.

Can't see a marriage in NSW using Joseph Ha* & Lucy.

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Oz & gibbo,

Lucy GOODSELL Death: 17 OCT 1862 in Penrith,res.Bringelly Rd.Luddenham, NSW

Married William PAYNE in Sussex in 1824 married twice more in NSW and no sign of a marriage to Joseph.

Regards,

Dave

Hello Oz & gibbo,

Lucy GOODSELL Death: 17 OCT 1862 in Penrith,res.Bringelly Rd.Luddenham, NSW

Married William PAYNE in Sussex in 1824 married twice more in NSW and no sign of a marriage to Joseph.

Regards,

Dave
Dave Hi,could you tell me who she did marry both times.

I think Gibbo found Joseph and Lucy parents of Susan Goodsell Yesterday,
so if no marriage that means Lucy must have been a bit of a tart.

Thanks a lot Dave.

Oz

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Oz,

It looks as though William PAYNE died in 1870 so the marriage of a Lucy PAYNE in NSW in 1835 can't be Lucy GOODSELL after all. Impossible when Lucy arrived in 1838 on the 'Maitland' :D

None of the trees show a 2nd marriage for Lucy or a 2nd set of children. One tree here and others look to have copied data:

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=lamb-d988&id=I5231

I doubt the IGI record is wrong. I doubt the one baptised in Yorkshire is the right one.

I can find nothing to support the 1808 Udimore, Sussex birth for Lucy. No extracted entry in IGI and no baptism entry in Sussex OPC.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
Hello Oz,

Showing Susan Goodsell Hayes
It looks as though William PAYNE died in 1870 so the marriage of a Lucy PAYNE in NSW in 1835 can't be Lucy GOODSELL after all. Impossible when Lucy arrived in 1838 on the 'Maitland' :D

None of the trees show a 2nd marriage for Lucy or a 2nd set of children. One tree here and others look to have copied data:

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=lamb-d988&id=I5231

I doubt the IGI record is wrong. I doubt the one baptised in Yorkshire is the right one.

I can find nothing to support the 1808 Udimore, Sussex birth for Lucy. No extracted entry in IGI and no baptism entry in Sussex OPC.

Regards,

Dave
Hello Dave,

I did find a 2nd tree on ancestry showing Joseph Hayes and Lucy Goodsell [Payne] as parents for Susan And her sister Harriet Born 1844-1915, so i guess that Lucy was just living with Joseph Hayes, broken off her marriage
to Mr Payne.

Could you find info on sister Harriet for confirmation of parents.

Thanks a lot Dave

Oz

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member