• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Confusing census record...John Jabez Marshall

I'm trying to find the origins of John Jabez Marshall who according to later census records must have been born around 1854 in Ecclesfield.

I found nothing on genes reunited about a John Jabez in early census records, but did find a "John...Marshall" and when I looked at the original record I believe it says Jabez and therefore think it must be him - however - the household (I can't read the address due to the writing style) appears to list him with his sister Maria (b1847) & Sarah (1845) but the adults in the household are of a different name - Mary Chason (b1824), Henry Chason (b1818) a lodger Samuel Clark (b1816) and two young children - a baby Anne Elizabeth Collison (age 0) and Thomas J Collison (age 2) - who are listed as daughter and son - but I am puzzled by how all the children are related to the adults....I had thought maybe two widows with children each of their own...but none have the surname Chason....then thought maybe they're all in an institution, but it would surely say 'inmate' or similar and can't read the address anyway...so am feeling a little puzzled...

Anyone have any ideas?!