• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Confusing records

joaning

Loyal Member
Hi all, I am just getting something off my chest.:(
I found a death notice in a Sydney paper dated 15th September 1852, for Hannah Wilkins, died 1st February 1852 in Manchester UK. It was inserted by her sister Eliza Nichols,who lived in NSW. She was a clue to a brick wall for Eliza, I had been trying to break down.

I found Hannah again in the deaths in England & Wales Free BMD,she died 1st Feb.1852.
Buried in Deansgate cemetery Manchester on 4th. Feb 1852 aged 40 years.

On following her up even further, I discovered another entry,this time in
"Australia, Deaths and Burials" for Hannah Wilkins, it stated she had
died 15th September 1852, the same day the notice was put in the paper, by her sister.
My point is, if this just a transcription of a newspaper notice, it would be very confusing to anyone looking that person up, and finding that.
My first thought was that she may have been in Australia at some point, but it doesn't seem like it?
Is Australia, Deaths and Burials supposed to be an accurate record,
or just an entry of information? :confused: Thanks everyone, Joan

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Full of errors Joan. The transcriptions are not good enough and too many errors appear in the records.

Name: Hannah Wilkins
Death Date: 15 Sep 1852
Death Place: Manchester, England
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: William Wilkins
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: B00367-4 , System Origin: Australia-EASy , GS Film number: 991451 , Reference ID: 965

The Australian Electoral Roll Index is full of errors with the State Electorate recorded as the Commonwalth Division.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Here is an example of one of a whole batch of records wrongly transcribed as belonging to Abbots Leigh Holy Trinity which is in a totally different Registration District - Bedminster and a different County.

From FamilySearch

name: Joseph Peacock
event: Marriage
event date: 14 Sep 1859
event place: Abbots Leigh (Holy Trinity), Somersetshire, England
marriage date:
marital status: Single
burial date:
father: Daniel Peacock
mother:
spouse: Elizabeth Lear
spouse's marital status: Single
spouse's father: Aaron Lear
spouse's mother:
film number: 4225628
digital folder number: 4225628
image number: 00202

Marriages Sep 1859
Peacock Joseph Bristol 6a 82
Lear Elizabeth Bristol 6a 82

1859 Marriage solemnized at The Parish Church in the Parish of St. Paul in the County of Bristol
No. 397 - September 14 -
Joseph Peacock - full - Bachelor - Carpenter - St. Paul's - Daniel Peacock - Hawker
Elizabeth Lear - full - Spinster - - St. George's Co of Gloucester - Aaron Lear - ? ?
Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church, by License, by me Hugh Allan ?
Both signed
Witnesses: James Lear, Wm. White ?

Last edited:

ptjw7

Loyal Member
There are errors in all forms of records, remember they are transcribed by humans!
You only have to read Mike Fosters 'Comedy of Errors' to see just what can go wrong and learn to take all information with more than a grain of truth!

http://www.genfair.co.uk/supplier.php?sid=50

If searching for information on line its best to try 'least input is the best' although not always possible due to the large number of records you could produce.

Peter

joaning

Loyal Member
Thanks for the replies, it is as I suspected, and I should have known.
I'll chase up the English records and hopefully find the answers that way.

William Wilkins, her husband was a Royal Marine...might follow him!
Thanks again, Joan.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I always double check records. If I see ancestry trees I always check the info myself, call me a sceptic but that is how I am. I like to be thorough.

horse

Loyal Member
I found Hannah again in the deaths in England & Wales Free BMD,she died 1st Feb.1852.
Buried in Deansgate cemetery Manchester on 4th. Feb 1852 aged 40 years.
Hi Joan

There's always something to confuse us in this 'hobby' of ours, take this for example [assuming it is the correct Hannah]..

NBI:
4 Feb 1852
Hannah WILKINS
Aged 40
Hulme, St George

That said, Deansgate is only a mile or so away from the Hulme church.

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Another record with an error.

Margaret Hamilton
Birth Date: 1834
Father: John Hamilton
Mother: Hannah
Birth Place: New South Wales
Registration Year: 1834
Registration Place: Sydney, New South Wales
Volume Number: V1834271 1B

Volume 1 starts in 1788 so no chance 1834 would be in that volume.

That should be Volume 18.

joaning

Loyal Member
Thanks everyone, I have learnt over the years not to trust my sources...
There are errors everywhere. Another one has cropped up today..
I suppose we should be grateful to the volunteers and transcribers, but not when it could waste years of research!
Joan

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
It is because errors occur that genealogists have always been recommended to find at least three different sources to confirm any information.

Never just rely on a single source of information always look for other information to corroborate what you have.

Cheers
[FONT=&quot]Guy[/FONT]

ptjw7

Loyal Member
I second that Joan, as only the other day I was checking some birth dates and had a bit of a panic as I quickly calculated the mothers age for 2 siblings and got 54 and 58 years of age? No way thought I must be grandchildren! Had a proper check and CORRECT mothers age was 38 and 42 - I have now decided that I must stop trying to do mental arithmetic and do it properly!

Must be an age thing:2fun:

Peter

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have had census transcripts that give an age as 21 and the person is listed as grandfather, I check the original image and looking closely it says 71, the dash in the columns does not help at times.

mopea

Here is an example of one of a whole batch of records wrongly transcribed as belonging to Abbots Leigh Holy Trinity which is in a totally different Registration District - Bedminster and a different County.

From FamilySearch

name: Joseph Peacock
event: Marriage
event date: 14 Sep 1859
event place: Abbots Leigh (Holy Trinity), Somersetshire, England
marriage date:
marital status: Single
burial date:
father: Daniel Peacock
mother:
spouse: Elizabeth Lear
spouse's marital status: Single
spouse's father: Aaron Lear
spouse's mother:
film number: 4225628
digital folder number: 4225628
image number: 00202

Marriages Sep 1859
Peacock Joseph Bristol 6a 82
Lear Elizabeth Bristol 6a 82

1859 Marriage solemnized at The Parish Church in the Parish of St. Paul in the County of Bristol
No. 397 - September 14 -
Joseph Peacock - full - Bachelor - Carpenter - St. Paul's - Daniel Peacock - Hawker
Elizabeth Lear - full - Spinster - - St. George's Co of Gloucester - Aaron Lear - ? ?
Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church, by License, by me Hugh Allan ?
Both signed
Witnesses: James Lear, Wm. White ?
Yes, I can see it would be confusing, but actually its not entirely wrong, as we would consider Abbots Leigh to be in Bristol, however, if you search for it in Google Maps even now it comes up as North Somerset, Bristol. The problem is that in the past boundaries changed and sometimes they have come under Somerset or Somersetshire and later years maybe Bristol. For instance Hanham is now considered Bristol, but it has appeared in Somersetshire and Gloucestershire records. So maybe the transcriber is not so wrong.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Two different churches:

Abbots Leigh (Holy Trinity)

The Church of England parish church of the Holy Trinity is a 15th-century Perpendicular Gothic building, restored and partially rebuilt in 1847–48 after a fire. The tower has six bells, three of which were cast in 1781 by William Bilbie of the Bilbie family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbots_Leigh

Bristol (St Paul)

Work was started on the church in 1789 and completed in 1794. St Paul's became known as the Wedding Cake Church from the unusual tiered tower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Paul's_Church,_Bristol

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
One village in Suffolk, near Thetford in Norfolk is called Fakenham Magna. In the 1851 census it is listed as Fakenham in Norfolk. There is already a Fakenham in Norfolk, about 25 miles north.

Same as Hacheston in 1841 being put down as Hackeston.