• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Convicts on the run

gibbo

Loyal Member
Those that did escape, I wonder where they ended up. I liked the guy in the bath tub, at least he made a clean getaway.:)

Nice one Gibbo.:)

Steve.:)
:2fun: i have no idea but i might see if i can find something on any of them that did get away and see what their stories are?? good make interesting reading. If i find anything i will put the link on here.

gibbo

gibbo

Loyal Member
Found where one who escaped got to. amusing story!

One of Australia's best known escaped convicts was William Buckley. He was among the first party of Europeans to attempt to colonise southern Victoria at Sorrento, on the Mornington Peninsula, Victoria. On 27 December 1803, soon after his arrival, he escaped from custody.

Despite the friendliness of the local indigenous Wathaurong people, Buckley was concerned they might turn hostile, and initially tried to survive on his own. However, he soon realised he could not fend for himself in the harsh bushland, and he sought out the Wathaurong again. On his way, he happened upon a spear stuck in the grave of a recently deceased member of the tribe; the Aborigines, finding him with the spear, believed he was their tribal member returned from the dead, and greeted his appearance with feasting and a corroboree. Buckley spent the next 32 years living among the indigenous Wathaurong people.
However, to keep the peace between the Europeans and the Aborigines, Buckley gave himself up to free settler John Batman's landing party on 7 July 1835.

Ultimately, Buckley was pardoned and became a respected civil servant. The Australian saying "Buckley's chance" means to have a very slim chance, and was spawned by his amazing story of survival in the bush

gibbo