• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Cooper

Hi,

My 2xGt Grandfather William Cox was a cooper by trade (maker of barrels). On the 1851 census I have found him as a qualified cooper and I am trying,without any luck so far,to find him on the 1841 census.He would be aged about fifteen and presumably an apprentice.

I have found a likely entry,but this William was an apprentice wheelwright.Now,someone has suggested that the two occupations may have overlapped.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me their thoughts on these two trades.

Many thanks,

Marisan.

prefabkid

Hi,

My 2xGt Grandfather William Cox was a cooper by trade (maker of barrels). On the 1851 census I have found him as a qualified cooper and I am trying,without any luck so far,to find him on the 1841 census.He would be aged about fifteen and presumably an apprentice.

I have found a likely entry,but this William was an apprentice wheelwright.Now,someone has suggested that the two occupations may have overlapped.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me their thoughts on these two trades.

Many thanks,

Marisan.
The two trades may easily overlap since the technique of fitting a metal rim to a wooden wheel is very similar to that of fitting hops on a wooden barrel.
The metal rim for the wheel and the hoops for the staves for the barrel are heated in a fire to expand them and hammered over the barrel or wheel,then quickly drenched with water to cool the metal down.
The metal shrinks to form a tight fit on the wheel,or to force the barrel staves together to make the barrel watertight.
Hope this helps
prefabkid

Thank you very much for that,prefabkid.I feel I could well be onto something here,at long last.I have traced my ancestor from 1851 until his death in 1871 and he is described as a cooper all along,it is his early years I am having trouble with.

Thanks again,

Marisan.

Hi folks.
I have noticed points of interest in this thread.
Namely---Faversham-Coomber and Cox surnames.
My grandparents resided in Faversham and there are several
generations of COOPERS.
My grandmothers maiden name was Cox.
The wheelwrights mention has appeared during my searches
which has direct family connections in Lancashire.

I am a member of the Guild Of One Name Studies researching
the Coomber name.My details can be obtained from their literature.

If you have any relevent data to impart Iwould like to hear from you
and I can supply plenty of data from my records.

I am on Skype and E.Mail so can be contacted in various ways.

I would like to hear from yourselves with the aim of assisting each other.

Regards.

John R.I. Coomber

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

My 4xgreat grandfather and his father before him were wheelwrights in Sussex for several decades. The business was inherited to my 4xgreat uncle in 1876 when my 4xgreat grandfather died. They must have worked at the forge or something as they lived either at or next to it. I wouldn't be suprised if coopering was involved at times.

Ben