• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

could anyone look on the 1901 census?

i am trying to get some info on edward(james)Brett. i am unable to find a marriage certificate for him and sarah everett however my grandmother was born 1909 in mile end. so thinking they should both be on the 1901 census somewhere! he is listed as a printers labourer on her birth certificate, but as a farm labourer 2 years later in Downham Norfolk. any help or hints gratefully received!
jude
ps mother listed as sarah everett

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi,

No luck on the census, there are 73 Brett's with the name Edward either as 1st or middle names. A few Sarah Everett's and cannot find their marriage either. This is the only one I could find with a Edward Brett and a Sarah, see below:

1901 June 1/4 dist Edmonton

Rose Ada Bennett
Edward Brett
Alfred Henry Franklin
Sarah Lovell.

Looked through several spellings of Everett, perhaps Sarah married b/4 or she could have changed her 1st name, they didnt marry, or I could have missed it. Will have another look at the 1901 census.

Julie

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Found these 2

civil parish Hackney-address 108, High Street
Joseph John Brett head age 52 occ missionary at London City Mission born Brentford Middx
Mary Ann Wife age 54 born Bearstead Kent
Kate Maryb dau age 24 cashier at council born Bearstead Kent
Edward James Brett son age 23 commerical clerk?
Walter Joseph Brett son age 21 compositer

civil parish Clerkenwell, address 20 Henry Street

Henry J Brett head age 41 occ (looks like) printers warehouseman born London City
Elizabeth Brett wife age 43 born Newcastle upon Tyne
Amy F dau age 17 occ chocolate (cocoa) machinist born Clerkenwell
Edward J Son age 13 born Clerkenwell
Amelia dau age 4 born Clerkenwell

Julie

Last edited:
interestingly, the brett's you mentioned in clerkenwell are not on the 1891 census! wonder where they were then? hang on, i am now getting sidetracked by a bunch of people i am not even related to!

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Made an amendment to the Bretts of Hackney I put John instead of Joseph John. Did your grandmother live in London, Norfolk or what area ? and have you any idea when her father died? Was she the eldest or are there any others born b/4 her, this might help as to when they married.

Julie