• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

County Derry, Ireland

jood

Valued Member
Is anyone familiar with Irish records in both County Clare and County Derry?

I'm in Australia.

I have William Laughlan who married Jane Stewart possibly around the 1820s
and had two sons that I know of William b 1827, Joseph b 1830. My problem is I have seen the name spelt Lacklan Lauchline Lagan Laugland etc etc even McLaughlan, which makes it hard. I believe William Laughlan snr was born about 1800 and Jane (seen this spelt Stuart) b approx 1800, William Jnr could have been born at Drumachose, Derry.

In County Clare, I have Michael George Gleeson (no dob) who married Anne Tierney, Anne born abt 1807.
Their children were born
Mary Gleeson abt 1832 Tipperary
Ann Gleeson abt 1834 Roscrea, Tipperary
Eliza b 1840 Ennis Cty Clare
Frances Kathleen Gleeson b 1842 Ennis Cty Clare
Alice (no dob)

I hope someone can help
Joodyanne

jood

Valued Member
Thanks Ellie, but it is asking me for a subscription - way too expensive for me in Australian money, but not only that, its too risky to pay for a William Laughlan/ McLagan/ Lacklan on the chance it might be one of them. If it was a name that could only be spelt one way, I think I'd have a fighting chance!

The marriage banns I had previously found were under Lagan/Stuart, not Laughlan/Stewart as I would have expected.

jood

Valued Member
Thanks Ellie, I was really excited to see the Clan Maclachlan and the castle. It mentions the battle of Culloden, and one of my now deceased rellies told my dad a few things she'd heard - namely
(1) The Laughlan family was decimated during the battle of Culloden in 1745.
(2) The Lauchlan's were standard bearers to the Cameron Lochiel.
(3) This William Laughlan was killed at the battle of Corunna during the Crimean War. (Note: The Battle of Corunna was in 1809).
(4) She quoted a piece of prose ... and whither came in times of far, stern Lochlin's (Laughlans) sons of roving war, the fierce and hairy Laughlans.
(5) She claimed they were of Nordick origin.
Surely she wouldn't have heard this anywhere else except handed down by the family - as she would have told this to Dad prior 1984.

I'm not having any luck tho with the other sites though, as I couldn't find marriages around 1826 - there were a lot of places, but I have narrowed it down to Limavady as I have heard Drumachose mentioned.

My DNA says I am related to Jane Stewart wife of William Laughlan tho obviously to the Laughlans as well. I know he was born in Ireland, but is it possible that Stewart is an Irish name - it might help find their marriage, tho in my previous messages I mentioned marriage banns for them in Scotland
William McLagan and Janet Stuart both .... this parish were regularly proclaimed here and in two days etc. etc. (Nov 2nd 1823)

This meant he was born in Ireland abt 1800, married in Scotland (1823) had at least two children 1827, 1830 back in Ireland, died possibly (but not proven) There is a death for a William McLaughlin
Died 1877 aged 77
Reg district Limavady
No image unfortunately

Maybe the parents never left Ireland, and I've buckley's chance of finding THEIR parents!

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Repository Code 233
Repository National Library of Scotland
Reference GB233/Acc.13041
Title Two volumes of family histories of the clan McLachlan of Beith

My grandfather McLauchlan

Scotland was overrun by Vikings who also came round the top of Scotland and down the west coast and onto the east coast of Ireland.

ellie

jood

Valued Member
Repository Code 233
Repository National Library of Scotland
Reference GB233/Acc.13041
Title Two volumes of family histories of the clan McLachlan of Beith

My grandfather McLauchlan

Scotland was overrun by Vikings who also came round the top of Scotland and down the west coast and onto the east coast of Ireland.
I presume I am to find these on line?

Is your ancestor a McLauchlan Ellie?

I may have mentioned I had 10% Scandinavian in my DNA.

I actually answered this several hours ago, but have lost the message - sorry.

Ellie7

Loyal Member
My 3rd great grandfather was Matthew Lauchlan c1785 Beith. Beith records are very poor, but I got back to John Lauchlan c1717 Neilston

Books mentioned not on line.

ellie

Ellie7

Loyal Member
You may be interested in this snippet .

DEATH OF MR. M. H. IAUCH1AN
Mr. Matthew Highet Lauchlan, one of our pioneer colonists, has died at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. W. Lawrence, Langdon. Tregothnan, Frazer-road, Lewisham, on the eve of his 84th year. Born at Ayr,
Scotland, In 1834, he arrived In Melbourne as. far back as the year 1854, and at once engaged in business In Melbourne, in the course of which he visited most of the provincial towns In Victoria, which were then springing up under the impetus of the immigration brought about by the discovery of gold. Later he removed to Wagga Wagga to take over the management of a large commercial undertaking there, where he remained some years, afterwards removing to Sydney, which has since been his headquarters. The late Mr. Lauchlan was for a lengthened period prominently identified with the oil and colour trade throughout Australia and New Zealand, and represented some of the leading English manufacturers In those goods. He travelled extensively throughout the Commonwealth and New Zealand, and also made numerous visits to Great Britain, and was consequently known to and respected by a very wide circle. He Is survived by two sons, Mr. North Lauchlan, of Dungog, and Mr. Jack Lauchlan, and one daughter, Mrs. William Lawrence Langdon. of Lewisham.

-------------------------

Grandson of William Lauchlan 1762 Neilson in the parish of Beith and Agnes Paterson 1761 Glaston ,by their son Willliam 1799 ,Brother of Matthew Lauchlan 1785 Beith

ellie

jood

Valued Member
Thanks Ellie, no we are not related, in fact I think you are closer to the Clan Lachlan than I am. Mine all came from Paisley, Renfrewshire or Lanarkshire.

I know all the country towns in NSW you mentioned though.