• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Court/Prison records

jon attwood

One of my ancestors, a mr William Cheeseman or Taylor (he used both surnames throughout his life) born 23rd january 1853 is listed in the 1891 census as having been at the convicts prison in Gillingham Kent, I have been told that he was imprisoned for desertion from millitary service (specifically the local voluntary militia).
I have searched for him on the black sheep ancestors website with no luck, they do not have the records for that particular prison or local court.
Does anyone know where the trial/court case records would be held?, or the prison records for Gillingham?, as I would like to find out more about this ancestor.
thanks

Jon

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
One of my ancestors, a mr William Cheeseman or Taylor (he used both surnames throughout his life) born 23rd january 1853 is listed in the 1891 census as having been at the convicts prison in Gillingham Kent, I have been told that he was imprisoned for desertion from millitary service (specifically the local voluntary militia).
I have searched for him on the black sheep ancestors website with no luck, they do not have the records for that particular prison or local court.
Does anyone know where the trial/court case records would be held?, or the prison records for Gillingham?, as I would like to find out more about this ancestor.
thanks

Jon
Hi Jon, The National Archives might be a place to start.

Steve.:)

jon attwood

Hi

Was this prison Knutsford Jail by any chance? I think Knutsford Jail is Kent.

Ben
I don't think so, Knutsford is a fair way from Gillingham and the address was given as Gillingham convicts prison in the census, it seems that there were far more prisons around in the past, almost every large town seems to have had one.

thanks
Jon