• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Crashing FTM - Help!!

ibsearching

:)

Hi Just wondered if anyone could help me, I have been trying to resolve this problem all day and have had no luck.

I have FTM installed on my laptop, it has been working fine without a problem then out of the blue a problem!

I can load my tree but when I try to merge the program just closes down.

If i try to open the tree again it says i need to compact files.... this I have done along with downloading the patch. un installed..... re installed........ deleted this deleted that as advised by the help page on A***ry...... oh to do to do!!!

I am ready to throw this laptop out the window!!

Any help or advice would be great.....
I have windows 7, FTM 2011 Platinum

:':)':)'(

Last edited:
Whilst I am no expert, I also have had this problem but not on a lap top, could be that the files are too big now, and perhaps you may need to up-grade the memory, also worth checking how much space you have left on your hard drive, just a few suggestions for you
BW Margie.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes, I would agree it could be either a lack of memory (or virtual memory = page file size being too small) or lack of free space on hard disk to complete the task. Depends where the program performs the merge operation. I've never used FTM and I don't have a laptop. :eek: It's about time I got one. :) I return from the library and can't read my notes. :2fun:

ibsearching

Hi x :)

:) Thank you for your reply's :)

But i can report the problem is nothing to do with size of trees or memory.
I got in touch with A***try they emailed me with a way of deleteing all files off my laptop rather than the standered uninstall.

I must also say that it did solve a problem as in I could merge again, but one record I try to merge close's the program again. After reading through the email sent to me, It is to my understanding that some of the files available to merge may be in some way corrupt and this is why the program shuts down.

Happy family searching!!

Thank you again x

Ib x:)