• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Crouch family

dawnlea

Hello everybody,
I am searching for my family on my grandmothers side. Her name was Phyllis Crouch and she was born c1916. She married Alfred Ernest Lea on Dec 12th 1936 in St Nicholas' Church, Manea, Cambs and went on to have one son, my father David Ernest Lea on June 30th 1943. Her father's name was Isaiah and I think her mother was possibly called Abigail Moxon. The family lived in Manea, Cambs. My grandmother died in 1987. Any help gratefully received.

Hi Dawn,
I think this might be your family.
1st i found a death for Phyllis Lea in May 1987 peterborough date of birth given as 12 Apr 1916.
The i found Isaiah Crouch in the 1901 census.
Isaiah Crouch 37 mole catcher born Manea Cambridge
Abigail wife 33 born Norfolk, (cant make out name of place in Norfolk)
Ethel 10 daughter born cambs
Fred 9 son born cambs

also found a marriage for Isaiah Couch to Anigail Moxon Dec quarter 1889 Downham, Cambridgeshire

could these be yours??

dawnlea

Hi Dawn ;D

These are indeed my ancestors! The Phyllis in question is my grandmother. Where did you find the info on her death? I have been going on what I can remember. I was 14 at the time that she died but I was very close to my grandmother and it was a very traumatic time for me. Isaiah Crouch was my ggrandfather but this is where I get very confused. My ggrandmothers name (ie my grandmothers mother) was Eliza Crouch nee Butcher. I have verified this with my grandmothers birth certificate. The only trouble is Isaiah's father (so, my gggrandfather) was also called Isaiah so at the moment, I cannot place Abigail for certain in my family tree as I do not know which Isaiah she was married to.!! There was talk of my grandmother having step-siblings but it is, in a way, the family legend and I can't verify it at the moment. Thanks very much for your help. If you can add anything, I'd be most grateful. In the meantime, I continue digging!!

Hi Dawn, I found her death on the ancestry.com site. i just typed in her name (married) and when the choice came up, i looked on the deaths :)
i will have another dig around and see what i can find :)

Hi again Dawn sorry,
Ok had a look on acestry and there is a death for an Abigail Crouch age 35 in the Dec 1902 North Witchfor Cambs which covers Manea.
there is then a marriage for Isaiah Crouch to Eliza Butcher in Dec 1903 Downham Cambs.

Looks like there were step siblings after all :wink:

dawnlea

Hi Dawn ;D

Thanks very much for that info!! I have been trying to find the marriage of Isaiah and Eliza for ages - at least I have a better idea of where to look now time-wise. Mind you, old Isaiah didn't hang about after Abigail's death, did he? :wink: Any more info gratefully received.

britannia

It seems that many men could not wait to get married after the demise of their first wife. :)

Mainly to do with the man being always out at work, and needing a "wife" to look after the kids!

Cheers,
Brit

Hi, I came across this post while researching my Marshall family from Manea. My Great-Aunt Emily Marshall married an Isaiah Crouch in 1897 in Manea and had a daughter named Vera in 1898. She in turn married William Whetstone and had a daughter named Bessie in 1920. I've hit a dead-end after that. Do any of these names sound familiar to you?

At first I also thought that this Isaiah was the same that had married Abigail Moxon, but it turns out that one was the son of William Crouch (brother of Isaiah Sr.) The Isaiah who married Emily was the son of Isaiah Crouch and Caroline Bradshaw. If you're sure that your gr.grandfather Isaiah's father was also named Isaiah then perhaps his first wife was actually Emily Marshall?? Sorry if this confuses you even more!

If any of this sounds familiar or you have any info you think may be helpful to me I would greatly appreaciate it. Thanks!

familyman

Hello everybody,
I am searching for my family on my grandmothers side. Her name was Phyllis Crouch and she was born c1916. She married Alfred Ernest Lea on Dec 12th 1936 in St Nicholas' Church, Manea, Cambs and went on to have one son, my father David Ernest Lea on June 30th 1943. Her father's name was Isaiah and I think her mother was possibly called Abigail Moxon. The family lived in Manea, Cambs. My grandmother died in 1987. Any help gratefully received.
any link to the england player peter crouch?

familyman

it would certainly be an interesting find. i think at times we all have a link of some kind to famous faces even if its not close cousins.i wish you well in finding that one out

hi Laura

welcome

to the forum..

If you have a brick wall, why not post a few details. OR after you have made 3 posts, your user name turns green and you would then be able to send a private message to one or all of the posters on this thread

dave