• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

"D" Bty. 48th Bde., Royal Field Artillery.D (Howitzer) Bty.

tiddy30

Hi all i would like to find out what regiment my great cousin was in during ww1,i was told that he served with "D" Bty. 48th Bde., Royal Field Artillery.D (Howitzer) Bty. His name was ALEXANDER MCINTEER 21678,he was killed on 21.9.1916.I cant seem to find the regiment he was in tho :confused: any help greatfully recieved,
thanks all.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi.

Name: Alex Mcinteer
Birth Place: Brandon Colliery, Durham
Death Date: 21 Sep 1916
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Stockton, Cheshire
Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery
Number: 21678
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre.

==================================

Name: McINTEER, ALEXANDER
Initials: A
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery
Unit Text: "D" Bty. 48th Bde.
Date of Death: 21/09/1916
Service No: 21678
Son of Mrs. McInteer, of Norton-on-Tees, England, and the late Hugh McInteer.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 17.

Steve.:)

Last edited:

josie7644

Valued Member
Last edited:

tiddy30

Hi i have a copy of alex's head stone and pics of the cemerery,is there anywhere i could find his death cert? or info on when he was transferred from the royal horse artillery to the field artillery?
Thank you all for looking :)

gortonboy

Loyal Member
hi,,you can get the death cert from the GRO..note..he is named on the index as McInter

Name:

MCINTER, Alexander
Unit:
Royal Field Artillery
Gnr.
Number:
Year:
Volume:
A.1
Page:

Record source:

GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1914 to1921)

tiddy30

I am really interested in alex for some reason,my dad was telling me that alex loved horses thats why he joined the royal horse artillery.he also had plans to move to canada after the war to join the rcmp because he loved horse so much.i am guessing he must have been transferred to the field artillery because of a shortage or some other reason.i would also like to find out what medals he was awarded,plus if possible the movements of his reg.

tiddy30

looking on the long long trail the 49th is listed as the howitzer btry,is it possible that alex was moved? or that the 48th was a howitzer btry too?

leefer

Loyal Member
Many horses were killed obviously and towards the end of the war horses were not used as much on account of the carnage and bloody improvement in munitions and transport.

Maybe just the reason he was moved on or of course he may have been slightly injured himself meaning he couldnt work with horses...just a thought and i hope you find your answers to an interesting man and story,as well as a very brave man no doubt.

tiddy30

Thanks leefer,he is indeed interesting.My dad was saying how he tried asking about alex but his grandfather didnt like talking about him cos it hurt too much so i guess ppl didnt talk about him.I love finding things out about him :) but my mission is to find a pic lol,i know its probibly impossible but ya got to try dont ya lol.

tiddy30

hi,,you can get the death cert from the GRO..note..he is named on the index as McInter

Name:

MCINTER, Alexander
Unit:
Royal Field Artillery
Gnr.
Number:
Year:
Volume:
A.1
Page:

Record source:

GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1914 to1921)
:D cert ordered!! Thanks gortonboy!:kissu:

leefer

Loyal Member
That is a fantastic picture and so clear.

Well done on getting it on here.

Where did you find it? and maybe post it on the old photos thread as well.

Many tears were spilt over this young chap no doubt.

tiddy30

That is a fantastic picture and so clear.

Well done on getting it on here.

Where did you find it? and maybe post it on the old photos thread as well.

Many tears were spilt over this young chap no doubt.
I actually found it on a site that was asking ppl to identify unknown soldiers and my dad was looking too and said THAT HIM!! aparently my gt uncle hugh has a pic of him just before he went to france and had shown my dad it a few weeks ago.I am trying to find the site again so i can inform them about who he is.