• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Dade registers...

Now I must say if you havent seen these they are very interesting..

I blundered amongst them whilst at Leicester Records Office, but what a goldmine of info...

Usually any bapt gives something like this:

Mary daughter of John & Jane Bell, Ringington, Ag Lab, W.G.Walker Vicar.

which would mean, Mary (child bapt) John & Jane Bell (parents) Ringington (place) Ag Lab (Dad's occupation) and W.G. Walker Vicar. (Officiating mininster).

now where a Dade is different, this is what you will find:

"Sarah, 2nd Daughter of George Watchorn of Melton Mowbray, Labourer, son of George Watchorn of Harby, Leicestershire, Labourer.

by Mary his wife, Daughter of ----- Rippin of Wymondham, Leicestershire. Born July 1st, Bapt Aug 1st 1792."

the Burials are pretty much the same as well.

http://www.pontefractfhs.org.uk/Dade_registers.htm

:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

I wouldnt know if this is a Dade Register as such, but a lot of my Durham ancestors baptisms contain birthplaces of the parents who I am sure would have died by the 1841 or 1851 census. Examples:-

My 3xgreat grandmother Ann Stewart was born in 1832 to William (b1800) and Elizabeth Stewart (nee Mason b 1805). Thanks to both their baptisms, I know all of Ann's grandparents birthplaces. Both her grandfathers were from outside Durham. They read:-

St Andrew Auckland, Durham, Baptised 22 December 1800, William son of John Stewart, a skinner, native of Selkirk, Scotland, and Patience Brown his wife, a native of this parish.

Cockfield, Durham. Elizabeth Mason baptised 3 May 1805, daughter of William Mason, a native of Dent, Yorkshire, and Ann Hetherington, daughter of Joseph Hetherington.

A goldmine of info, second to none to the census especially and poor relief applications.

Ben

yep, Ben,

thats the kind of thing you will find, from what I have read elsewhere about it only a few die hard vicars actually kept doing this for a while.

A simpler version was adopted, sometimes referred to as the 'Barrington registers' and are pretty much the same as modern day baptism records.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi darkcrystal

Those registers can be a goldmine. Often 3 generations can be named in one baptism. I have heard that some other counties of the UK contained these types of registers but I am not certain which ones.

Ben

That is very true,

I hadnt hoped of any such info I knew the names of my 4xgt granmas parents but knew very little else. This Dade enabled me to at least have a starting point for there respective families, though I do have to go back to Leicester RO and chase up these events.

if you check out the hyperlink on my first post (the pontefract one) at the bottom of my post and scroll down it gives you a list of places that have dades... :)

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Oh, how I wish my ancestors had been born up there !!

Instead, mine are all Welsh.

My late husband's are all over the place, but I am still searching for Robert Reuben Jefferiss born 1801, maybe London, but definitely England !!

Maddie

Now I must say if you havent seen these they are very interesting..

I blundered amongst them whilst at Leicester Records Office, but what a goldmine of info...

Usually any bapt gives something like this:

Mary daughter of John & Jane Bell, Ringington, Ag Lab, W.G.Walker Vicar.

which would mean, Mary (child bapt) John & Jane Bell (parents) Ringington (place) Ag Lab (Dad's occupation) and W.G. Walker Vicar. (Officiating mininster).

now where a Dade is different, this is what you will find:

"Sarah, 2nd Daughter of George Watchorn of Melton Mowbray, Labourer, son of George Watchorn of Harby, Leicestershire, Labourer.

by Mary his wife, Daughter of ----- Rippin of Wymondham, Leicestershire. Born July 1st, Bapt Aug 1st 1792."

the Burials are pretty much the same as well.

http://www.pontefractfhs.org.uk/Dade_registers.htm

:)
I
Forgive me as I am new at all of this but I am not able to click on this website address above with results.

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Dade Records came about from a Yorkshire minister of that name,some parish took it up in Yorkshire and elsewhere.For me it was a very good find on the FHS filche

Baptism1792 4 Aug Selby Abbey1792.08.04 Thomas Rhodan ADAMSON bapt 3rd son of Thomas & Frances Selby Waterman Thos son of Saml Adamson of Woodlesforth, Rothwell Parish, Waterman by Ann his wife, dau of Thos Hanson of Woodlesforth, Waterman. Frances dau of John Burton of Selby,

1779 8 Nov SELBY North Yorkshire England1779.11.10 William BURTON bapt 1st son of John & Ann Selby Butcher John son of Wm Burton of Heckleton nr Sleeforth, Lincs, Farmer by Elizth his wife. Ann dau of Wm Aisdale of Selby, Ship Carpenter by Margt his wife, dau of John King of Selby, Ship C

Marriage to THOMAS RODAN1670 27 Jan SELBY ABBEY, North Yorkshire England1670.01.27 Thomas RODAN M Frances GIBSON

Took me further back than I could have done without them.