• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Dakins/Dakyns

Thomas & Lydia ended up on Trinidad(1813-1825) and in possession of the St Clair Estate, Tragarate Quarter(not to be confused with the St Clair; Tacarigua & Arouca or the Sainte Claire; Aricagua estates). Thomas died in early 1825 causing Lydia to wind up the estate (with her son Thomas Henry's assistance) before returning to St Vincent and then finally, England where she died in Pembury, Kent Dec 1843.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Thomas A Dakyns •
***: Male
Event Date: 1910 •
Event Place: Salem Ward 6, Marion, Oregon, United States •
Event Place (Original): Salem Ward 6, , Oregon
Birth Year (Estimated): 1840
Birthplace: England •
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Relationship to Head of Household: Inmate
Father's Birthplace: West Indies

Ellie7

Loyal Member
George Dakyns, esq.George Dakyns, son and heir apparent of same George Dakyns, and Elizabeth Mary als. Mary, wife of George Dakyns, the sonManor of Long Cowton als. Est Cowton, and 40 messuages, 20 cottages, a watermill, and a windmill with lands in the same.

Yorkshire Fines: 1578

Hi Ellie, ...and thank you for your interest and posts. The West Indies connection is quite interesting when you dig into the history. I am still not entirely clear as to how or why Thomas settled on St Vincent. He is variously described as being a Commissary in the army so I have always assumed that he found himself there as a result of General Abercrombie's expedition to quell the Second Carib uprising(1795) - this is entirely conjecture on my behalf though, as I have found it difficult to research the Army Commissariat records. At one stage I thought that there might have been a family connection to George Whitfield who was an established planter on the Island(based on William Whitfield's middle name which led me to wonder if his mother Sarah, might not have been a Whitfield).

Last edited: