• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Daniel Bierton b.1891. Aylesbury, Bucks.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi folks.

Daniel Bierton was a Private in the Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry, according to the 1911 census, and in Cowley Barracks, Oxford.

His date of birth is the 1st Jan 1891. Parents are George & Ellen Bierton.

I've tried C.W.G.C, but no luck. There is a medal card for a Daniel Bierton, but wrong Regiment. ( No. 70263. 9th Bde Royal Field Artillery).

Any slim chance there are any military records for him.

Thanks.

Steve.:)

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
One thing I notice Steve is that this is the only one that shows in FreeBMD:

Births Mar 1891
Bierton Daniel Aylesbury 3a 733

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi Steve
I presume you have Daniel with his family in 1901?
The 1914 medal cards for Daniel in Anx are not your man right?
There is a death for Daniel Bierton in Gt Yarmouth 1961 bn 1891.

ozn :)

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I've got all his birth dates and baptism, and census returns, parents, grandparents, and GG grandparents.........and I'm not sure if the medal card is his. It is possible though. The Norwich death is likely, but it's his military records pre-WW1 I'm after.:2fun:

Thanks folks.....it may be fruitless.:rolleyes:

gortonboy

Loyal Member
dont know if hes your man,but there is a mention in the national roll

D.Bierton. East Yorkshire Regiment
volunteered Nov 1915,but after 5 months the strain of military service proved too much for his health. Discharged 1916 unfit for further service.
32 regent street Leighton Buzzard.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
His sister Emily Louisa Bierton, married in Yorkshire in 1905, and he had cousins in Linslade, Leighton Buzzard.

Those are the only links to that suggestion GB, plus his name of course..;):)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi GB.

The qualifying date for the medals, was 14 Oct 1914. And I assume it was awarded in 1920. So if he volunteered in Nov 1915, this wouldn't be him, would it.:confused:

Victory, British(R.F.A/203b) and Star(R.F.A/39) medals.

East Yorks Regt. to R.F.A.:confused:

I can find no other details for Benjamin Bierton, apart from what's been found.

View attachment 1021

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Rodger.

Thanks for replying.

The simple fact is, I was totally off track with Daniel Bierton. He is not in my family tree.

At the end of 2012, I was offline for almost 2 years, so this thread was totally forgotten about my me.redf)

You can add the information if you wish, for anyone else that maybe interested in this chap.:)

Rodgero

Ok Steve
Still trying to get my head around how the site works.I have Daniels medals which have been unearthed during the clearance of my father in law's house ! The name is the rim of the 2 medals with his army no .There are 3 miniature medals too but they might just be a coincidence. Cheers Rodger

Hi Rodgero, I don't know if you will see this as I can see the thread is 2 years old but my dad is a Bierton and I'm in the process of making him a book for his 70th birthday about his Bierton ancesters.

I am currently doing a section on World War One soldiers and Daniel is one of the soldiers I'm researching. If you have any information about him at all or his brothers, a photo of his medals or even him I would be really interested. Best Regards.

Hi madcyril,
Your response to my thread popped up the other day and it has taken a while to get my brother in law to respond to the request as he has the medals along with his families own ones. My father in law was a bit of an odd collector and have no real reason why he had these. It looks like he had only 2 out of 3 of the larger medals and there is no paperwork. Here are the pics. If you can't download them, (email address removed due to forum policy. Please use the conversation box to exchange private information) and I'll do it that way. We are in Suffolk. Let me know if it is your family member. thanks Rodger 20201015_112416.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rodgero

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and show me the pictures.

I am very pleased to say that it is indeed my Daniel - Service No: 70263.

He was one of 14 children and all 5 boys in the family were sent off to World War One so I’ve been researching them all. Daniel was a driver in the 9th Brigade Royal Field Artillery and he did survive the War.

The family came from Aylesbury but Daniel died in Great Yarmouth in 1961 which is fairly close to you so maybe there’s some link through friends or a marriage or something?

Of the five, Daniel is the one I know least about so to see his actual medals is fantastic. I can’t tell you how glad I am that they still survive and in such good condition. That has honestly made my day.

Thanks again