• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Daniel Brammall

According to 2 Accounts he was dead by 1830 but haven't found an Obituary. So maybe he died later. I shall have another look for Obituary.

Tontine Inn was a big coaching Inn in the city centre and lots of business went on there as well as election results. I can't look for probate as funds won't allow me at present to renew search site. I shall try Sheffield Indexers and see if they come up with something.

For the record Sheaf House still exists as a pub. I shall have to ask proprietor if there are any interesting features inside and if I can photo round the back as I only have a photo of the front.

confusion reigns. In 1833 the Trade index has Daniels wife at Whitehouse so obviously Daniel was dead by then or else she wouldn't be in charge but also she is not at Sheaf House. We also have mention of Thomas Brammall who turns up in 1828, 1833, and 1837 first 2 say Whitehouse and last one says just Bramall Lane (changed from fileman to merchant) Marriage of his daughter Ann states he was from Sheaf House. George Younge died at Sheaf House in 1860 at the age of 81.

Also Emma Brammall born 1816 father Rev Daniel Brammall so there is the Lancashire Daniel Brammall.

And have details of Rev Daniel as son of Daniel Brammall of Sheaf House born August 5th 1790, graduated Oxford May 5th 1814 Ordained 1816 by Bishop of Lincoln.

Can't find Thomas Brammall Birth or Death or any of the children. They could be nonconformists I suppose or had some family link to Norton.

one of the useful subscriptions I have is to Geneanet, which is based in France. They have a huge number of digitised books. One I found " The lives of the British sculptors and those who have worked in England from the earliest days to Sir Francis Cantrey" Author Chancellor, Edwin Beresford Pub 1911

a quote from the book
" Among these was Mr Daniel Brammall a well known manufacturer in Sheffield whose name deserves to be recorded because of the interest he took in the young Chantrey and because of his attempts to secure a situation suited to the boys temperament"

Another part describes a sculpture done by Chantrey which was over the door at Brammalls home

I will try and find a way to copy these extracts

dochines

"Besides his innumerable statues and busts, and his
considerable number of monuments of varying importance,
Chantrey produced, in addition to those mentioned,
various other works of a less ambitious nature, such as
Plenty, once over the principal doorway of Sheaf House,
Sheffield, which had
been erected by his old friend Daniel Brammall ; and a
somewhat similar work—a relievo of Paul at Lystra,
which he executed for Turner, and which for many
years surmounted the mantelpiece of the painter's little
home—Sandycombe Lodge, at Twickenham."

Another reference from same book

dochines

Last edited:
I found these quotes.

LEIGHTON: A stroll down Ladies' walk would, at one time, have taken us
into a colony of pleasant gardens. Down there was the famous file
factory of Mr. Daniel Bramall, who, in 1816, built Sheaf House,
afterwards the residence of Mr. George Younge. His name has been given
to the street.

LEONARD : Chantrey adorned that house and took portraits of a large
number of the Bramalls, and as at that other filesmith's in Shemeld
croft-Nicholas Jackson's-so here, at the file-smith's in Bramall lane,
he had an affaire-de-coeur with one of the daughters Mary.

WRAGG: The factory was close to what is now the Cricket ground; 50 or 60
years ago these were the largest file works in the neighbourhood. In
1805, Mr. Daniel Bramall obtained a verdict of £2000 damages against a
Birmingham file maker for violating his mark. Now, I believe, it is
quite valueless.
Reminiscences of Sheffield

Mary became Robinson and died 13th July in 1868 She is also down as having written a poem for the Sheffield Missionary Society in 1826.

I have my doubts of her being his sweetheart as Chantrey was married in 1809 and before that she would only have been a child if born at all then. Somewhere else it was said she never married but that was obviously untrue too.

I have found picture of the White House Brammall lane

There is a policeman standing in the road out side, perhaps waiting for the football crowds?

I have not been able to make it an attachment. if you have not seen it I will try and find another way to post it

dochines

I don't know that I have seen one with policeman but I have seen a photo of White House and cottages in Sheffield Picture Archive so its ok. I know it was very old but seemed to have been demolished to make a brewery there.

Sheaf House Gardens also had a skating rink at one time and Bramall Stadium had a bowling green so a pretty active place by all accounts.

I found these quotes.

LEIGHTON: A stroll down Ladies' walk would, at one time, have taken us
into a colony of pleasant gardens. Down there was the famous file
factory of Mr. Daniel Bramall, who, in 1816, built Sheaf House,
afterwards the residence of Mr. George Younge. His name has been given
to the street.

LEONARD : Chantrey adorned that house and took portraits of a large
number of the Bramalls, and as at that other filesmith's in Shemeld
croft-Nicholas Jackson's-so here, at the file-smith's in Bramall lane,
he had an affaire-de-coeur with one of the daughters Mary.

WRAGG: The factory was close to what is now the Cricket ground; 50 or 60
years ago these were the largest file works in the neighbourhood. In
1805, Mr. Daniel Bramall obtained a verdict of £2000 damages against a
Birmingham file maker for violating his mark. Now, I believe, it is
quite valueless.
Reminiscences of Sheffield

Mary became Robinson and died 13th July in 1868 She is also down as having written a poem for the Sheffield Missionary Society in 1826.

I have my doubts of her being his sweetheart as Chantrey was married in 1809 and before that she would only have been a child if born at all then. Somewhere else it was said she never married but that was obviously untrue too.

Has an extra 0 been put on that £2000?

Incredible amount of money for those days.

I am sure that image is from maybe a collection taken from the same time...sure Duckweed put a similar image on a while back with the policeman further down the lane to the left...he was walking past the people in the front garden?

My mind maybe playing tricks though:confused:

Hello, I know this is an old thread now, but was wondering if you researched further into the Brammall family? My husband is a Brammall and we are having trouble tying up the strands, although early days. As far as we know we have Manchester Brammalls and several Ellis's and two branches that went to Brighton that must be related but can we find a link yet??! Wondering if all Brammalls eventually come from the same place?

Out of interest Lizzie, have you been able trace any thing back? I’m from the brammall line and do have information back up to 1543 ish. But trying to collect even more information about my family.

Out of interest Lizzie, have you been able trace any thing back? I’m from the brammall line and do have information back up to 1543 ish. But trying to collect even more information about my family.

Hi Sarah, I would be really interested to learn more about your family research. I also have a Bramall in the family, albeit distantly - Ann Bramhall, who lived from about 1759 to 1822, and married George Sanderson (1756-1833). The Sandersons and Bramhalls / Bramalls seem to go way back, and I keep finding Bramhalls where I'm looking for Sandersons, so I'm interested in this line also.

In particular, I'm interested in discovering more about the "Bramall Family" whom Sheffield's Bramall Lane (of the football stadium) was named after - and whether there's any connection to the Bramhall's I'm researching.

I'd be seriously grateful if you're able and willing to share any research you have on the Bramhall family. Thanks.

Back