• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Daniel McFARLANE

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Do I read the date for William on the headstone as 18th MAY ?

NSW Death 7687/1908 MACFARLANE WILLIAM - WILLIAM [?] - WATERLOO * 17 May 1908

The Sydney Morning Herald - Mon 18 May 1908 p.6
DEATHS
MACFARLANE.-May 17, 1908, at his residence Possil Park, Picton-street, North Botany, William MacFarlane, late of Eveleigh Government Workshops, native of Glasgow, aged 66 years. At rest. Home papers please copy.

The Sydney Morning Herald - Mon 18 May 1908 p.12
FUNERALS
MAC FARLANE.-The Friends of Mrs. SARAH MAC FARLANE, Messrs. DANIEL, JOHN, WILLIAM, JAMES, ALLEN, WATT, and ROBERT MAC FARLANE, and Mr. and Mrs. SANDS are kindly invited to attend the funeral of her late dearly beloved HUSBAND, and their FATHER, William, to move from his late residence, Possil Park, Picton street off King street, North Botany, THIS AFTERNOON, at 1 o'clock punctually, for Presbyterian Cemetery, Rookwood via Mortuary station.
FROST and COMPANY, Funeral Directors, Leichhardt and Dulwich Hill.

Rookwood index has an error ??

William Mac Farlane Date of Burial: 17 May 1908 Age: 66 Plot: Presbyterian 5B_Zone A/#/6785

JoAshby

Wait a sec, I have all the Death Certificates so far for William (father), Agnes (mother), Edward (son), Robert Grant (son) and Daniel, I have just ordered William (sons).... Ill give you the correct date and a close up without the branch in the way.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Joanne.

Curious. BMD index has 17 and this.

The Sydney Morning Herald - Sat 16 May 1914 p.20
IN MEMORIAM
MACFARLANE.-In loving remembrance of our dear father, William, who departed this life May 17, 1908, aged 66 years. Inserted by his son and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. A. MacFarlane, also Mr. and Mrs. D. Sands.

JoAshby

William Macfarlane

Death Certificate:
Nsw Bdm Ref: 586/1908
Death Date: 17th May, 1908
Place of Death: Picton Street, North Botany
Name and Occupation: William Macfarlane, Irondresser
*** and Age: Male 66 years
Cause of Death/Medical Attendant: Asphyxia, Acute Pneumonia 6 days, Alfred Glover Cooley 17th May 1908
Name and Occupation of Father: William Macfarlane - Coal Miner
Name and Maiden Name of Mother: Unknown
Informant: Watt Macfarlane, Son - 50 Gerard Street, Alexandria.

Particulars of Registration: James Skinner, 18th May 1908, Waterloo.
When and Where Buried: 18th May 1908, Presbyterian Cemetery, Rookwood.
Undertaker: Frost and Company.

Name and religion of Minister, and names and witness of burial:
(1) George Milne
(2) Presbyterian
(3) ? Macfarlane, A Macfarlane

Where born and how long in Australian colonies or state:
Glasgow, Scotland
22 years in Nsw
10 days in Victoria

Place of Marriage, and to whom:
1st Married to:
(1) Glasgow, Scotland
(2) 20 years to
(3) Agnes Macgregor

2nd Married in:
(1) Melbourne, Victoria
Age 52 years to Sarah Scott (## see below).

Children of Marriage:
Daniel 45, John 43, William 41, James 39, Allan 35, Watt 31, Isabella 29, Robert 26 Living
2 males, 1 female deceased
2nd marriage - no issue.

## The only trees I have seen have a Sarah Cook listed as his wife (with a Nsw Marriage), however on his Will (which I have a copy of) he lists here name as only Sarah Ann with no surname.
## Affid. of Death (in Williams Probate) states 17th May, 1908 and was signed by Alexander Steward, of Sydney, Irondresser (dated 16th Sept. 1908)

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Joanne.

I have the NSW marriage to Sarah COOK in my tree but I will do more searching given the info re Melbourne. Why would he be in Melbourne? Ok Needs sorting.

JoAshby

Dave, I have always had Williams father as Daniel McFarlane (as that is what is on his birth records), although I have found a birth date for Williams father Daniel, I have been unable to locate a death Date, not William as above.

I have Daniel McFarlane
Birth: 7th July, 1805 Barony, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Baptism: 28th July, 1805 Barony, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Marriage to Marion Watt: 26th March, 1837 Rutherglen, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
1841 - Living Hamilton Hill...
I have his parents as Daniel Mcfarlane/Isobel McLean (could not find evidence as yet, but was given to me by Macfarlane Australia, this tree is not on the Macfarlane International group as yet).
We have just YDNA tested my 83 year old dad to hopefully get us in the right direction.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have his parents as Daniel Mcfarlane/Isobel McLean (could not find evidence as yet, but was given to me by Macfarlane Australia, this tree is not on the Macfarlane International group as yet).
I have not attempted to find the parents of Daniel who married Marion Watt.

No all marriages and not all baptisms appear on ScotlandsPeople for various reasons.

I have no death for Daniel.

Registration No: 644/7
Registration District: Milton
Civil Parish: Glasgow St George
County: Lanarkshire
Roll: CSSCT1871_135 Page 6
ED: 54 Schedule: 29
Address: 281 Garscube Rd
Edward McFarlane Head Unm 27 Moulder Glasgow
Murien McFarlane Widow 70 Glasgow
Martha McElre Lodger Unm 28 Mill Worker Ireland

Death 1872 McFARLANE MARION [WATT] 62 --- Milton 644/7 89

JoAshby

Death Certificate of Agnes Mcfarlane
Death Certificate:
Nsw Bdm Ref: 228/1889
Death Date: 5th February, 1889
Place of Death: 108 Fig Street, (bottom of suburb is cut off but I believe it may be Ultimo)
Name and Occupation: Agnes Mcfarlane, Married Woman
*** and Age: Female 47 years
Cause of Death/Medical Attendant: Spinal Meningitis, Pyelitis 8 months, Dr Oram, Same Day
Name and Occupation of Father: John McGregor (deceased) - Blacksmith
Name and Maiden Name of Mother: Agnes Allan (deceased)
Informant: Printed and also signed - William Macfarlane - Husband, Iron dresser, 108 Fig Street

Particulars of Registration: Signature Unreadable, 5th February 1989, Sydney.
When and Where Buried: 6th February 1889, Presbyterian Cemetery, Rookwood.
Undertaker: W Stewart.

Name and religion of Minister, and names and witness of burial:
(1) R. S Craig
(2) Thomas McCarthy

Where born and how long in Australian colonies or state:
Kilmarnock, Scotland
3 years in Nsw

Place of Marriage, and to whom:
Free Church, Lyon Street
(1) Glasgow, Scotland
(2) 19 years to
(3) William Mcfarlane

Children of Marriage:
Daniel 27, John 25, William 23, James 21, Allan 17, Agnes 15, Watt 13, Isabella 11, Robert 9 Living
2 males deceased.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
1862 McFARLANE WILLIAM - McGREGOR AGNES 644/7 9 Milton

Page 5
1862 MARRIAGES in the District of Milton in the Burgh of Glasgow
No. 9 1861 December Thirty first at 186 St. Georges Road Glasgow
After Banns according to the forms of the Free Church of Scotland
Signed William McFarlane Iron Dresser Journeyman (Bachelor) - 22 - 11 Caithness Street Glasgow - Daniel McFarlane Ironstone Miner deceased and Marian McFarlane M.S. Watt
[Signed] Agnes McGregor Steam Loom Weaver (Spinster) - 20 - 11 Caithness Street Glasgow - John McGregor Blacksmith deceased and Agnes McGregor M.S. Allan
[Signed] Daniel R Kilpatrick Minister Lyon St Free Church
[Signed] Alexr. Livingstone Witness, Jane Murray Witness
1862 January 2nd at Glasgow James Smith Registrar

William McFARLANE & Agnes McGREGOR
31 Dec 1861 Milton, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Batch M119281

Daniel in 1841 but not 1851 census so death before 1855. Lots of pre-1855 burials not in the index.

JoAshby

Dave, It states on both Death Certificates that 2 males were deceased from the Marriage.

I have Edward, details are as follows:
1869 MCFARLANE, EDWARD (Statutory registers Births 644/7 1564)
Page 522
1869, In the Births in the district of Milton, in the Burgh of Glasgow.
No: 1564
Name and Surname: Edward McFarlane
When and Where Born: 1869, October Eighteenth - 3 hours, 0 mins am, 7 Cedar Street, Glasgow
***: Male
Parents details: William McFarlane, Iron Dresser, Agnes McFarlane M.S McGregor
Cause of Death, duration: Scarlet Fever, As seen by James (Tindlater?), then random letters.
Informant: W McFarlane
When and where registered: 1873, September 30th at Maryhill, John Russell registar.
Edward had passed around 6 weeks after his sister Agnes Allan Mcfarlane was born.

Sadly 2 of the older sons died less than 1 month apart in 1940
- Daniel on the 16th October 1942, and William 8th November, 1942,

Who was the other son whose death was prior to 1889 as listed on both Agnes and Williams Death Certificates? Im missing one.
I have Daniel, John, William, James, Edward, Allan, Agnes, Watt, Isabella, Robert.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I'll check that one Joanne. I only have the 10 in my tree. There is no obvious gap.
More than one McFarlane family registering births in Milton, Lanark 1861 - 1885.
Can't tell on ScotlandsPeople after 1855 with no parents listed in index.

Searching by batch C119281 returns only the first 7 of the 10 and not one not already known.

I spent a lot of time yesterday doing text corrections on Trove after I found the required funeral notices.

I have the answer now re William's second marriage and what a surprise. !!
I'm sure I have enough evidence to show he married his daughter-in-law's mother.

I'll post the details soon.

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
William 8th November, 1942 ??

NSW Death 6830/1940 MACFARLANE WILLIAM - WILLIAM - AGNES - PETERSHAM * 5 Apr 1940

The Sydney Morning Herald - Sat 6 Apr 1940 p.16
DEATHS
MACFARLANE.-April 5, 1940, at his residence, 87 Westbourne Street, Petersham, William MacFarlane, husband of the late Margaret Macfarlane, and loving father of George, Tillie (Mrs. Logan), and Edith, aged 74 years. With the Lord.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/17647886
MACFARLANE.-The Relatives and Friends of Mr. DANIEL MACFARLANE, Mr. JACK MACFARLANE, Mr. ALLEN MACFARLANE, Mr. and Mrs. D. SANDS and Mr. and Mrs. ROBERT MACFARLANE are invited to attend the Funeral of their late dearly beloved BROTHER and BROTHER-IN-LAW, William Macfarlane. For further particulars see preceding notice.

Independent OG-EXT 0004916 MACFARLANE WILLIAM 06 Apr 1940
WILLIAM MACFARLANE Age 74 - 6/04/1940 Zone A Old Ground Ext 4916
William MacFarlane Date of Burial: 6 Apr 1940 Age: 74 Plot: Old Ground Ext_Zone A/#/4916

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Birth 1848 BARNETT Sarah (F) (f George BARNETT) dist Adelaide Book 2 p.111

Marriage 1865 PIKE Alfred (b. ) - BARNETT Sarah (b. ) Vic. #2656

Birth 1866 PIKE Alfred Alfred Sarah BARNETT b. The Loddon, Vic. #13536
Birth 1868 PIKE Rachael Alfred Sarah BARNETT b. The Loddon, Vic. #1483
Birth 1869 PIKE Elizabeth Clift Alfred Sarah BARNETT b. The Loddon, Vic. #1348
Birth 1871 PIKE Mary Ann Rebecca Alfred Sarah BARNETT b. Talbot, Vic. #14863
Birth 1873 PIKE Charles Ernest Alf Sarah BARNETT b. The Loddon, Vic. #22629

Death 1883 PIKE Alfred 49 Jno - Elizabeth CLIFT d. Vic. #10563

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/198270733
Mount Alexander Mail (Vic.) - Mon 29 Oct 1883 p.2
ITEMS OF NEWS.
An old resident of Campbells Creek, in the person of Mr Alfred Pike died on Saturday afternoon, after an illness extending over two and a half years. The deceased gentleman was of a quiet and inoffensive disposition, and was much respected in the circle in which he moved. For eighteen years he was secretary of the Progress Tent of Rechabites, and much of its present numerical and financial strength has been due to his efforts. He leaves a young family of five children. The funeral, which takes place to-day, will be attended by members of the Foresters and Rechabite Orders.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Marriage 1891 MACFARLANE Jas Macgregor (b. ) - PIKE Mary Ann Rebecca (b. ) Vic. #6095

NSW Death 3465/1926 McFARLANE MARY A R - ALFRED - SARAH - BURWOOD * 27 Jan 1926

The Sydney Morning Herald - Thu 28 Jan 1926 p.10
DEATHS
MACFARLANE.-January 27, 1926, at her residence, Levuka, Wychbury-avenue, Burwood, Mary A. R. (May), relict of the late James McGregor MacFarlane, late of Homebush, aged 54 years. Melbourne papers please copy.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16276036
The Sydney Morning Herald - Thu 28 Jan 1926 p.9
FUNERALS
MACFARLANE.-The Relatives and Friends of MALCOLM and JEAN MACFARLANE are invited to attend the Funeral of their late dearly beloved MOTHER, Mary A. R. (May), to leave her late residence, Levuka, Wychbury-avenue, Burwood, THIS (Thursday) AFTERNOON, at 2.30 o'clock, for Presbyterian Cemetery, Rookwood. By road, Motor Funeral. Sydney friends please take funeral train leaving Mortuary Station, Regent-street city, at 1.55, and alight at No. 1 Mortuary.
F. W. HARTLEY, 13a Enmore-road, Newtown.

... Mr. and Mrs. ALF PIKE, ... Mrs. ELIZABETH WARD ...
... WATT MACFARLANE, Mr. and Mrs. D. SANDS ...

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Birth 1892 McFARLANE Malcolm Jas Wm Alf - Jas Mcgregor - Mary Ann Rebecca PIKE b. Brunswick East, Vic. #20704

Birth 3189/1904 MACFARLANE JEAN A - MARY A R * don't know why father is not listed.

Death 54836/1973 MACFARLANE MALCOLM JAMES - JAMES McGREGOR - MARY ANN R - BULLI * 23 May

The Sydney Morning Herald - Sat 2 Jun 1973 p.144
DEATHS
MACFARLANE, Malcolm James (Engineer).-May 23, 1973, after a long illness, at his residence "Levuka" Oceana Parade, Austinmer, beloved and devoted husband of Gladys. So mote it be.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Marriage 1892 McFARLANE Wm (b. ) - PIKE Sarah (b. ) Vic. #6811 * nee BARNETT born SA 1848

NSW Death 1089/1924 MACFARLANE SARAH - REUBEN - BURWOOD * 9 Mar 1924 * Father has to be an error as everything else fits.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16106472
The Sydney Morning Herald - Mon 10 Mar 1924 p.8
DEATHS
MACFARLANE.-March 9, 1924, at the residence of her daughter, Kilmarnock, Underwood-road, Homebush, Sarah, beloved wife of the late William MacFarlane, late of Mascot, and fond mother of Mrs. James Macfarlane, and grandma of Malcolm and Jean. Funeral on Tuesday.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16109258
The Sydney Morning Herald - Tue 11 Mar 1924 p.7
FUNERALS
MACFARLANE.-The Funeral of the late Mrs. SARAH MACFARLANE will leave the residence of her daughter, Mrs. James MacFarlane, Kilmarnock, Underwood-road, Homebush, THIS (Tuesday) AFTERNOON, at 2.45 o'clock, for Presbyterian Cemetery, Rookwood. By road.
F. W. HARTLEY, Tel., L1184. 13 Enmore-road, Newtown.

... Mr. and Mrs. D. SANDS, Mr. and Mrs. G. MURPHY, ...

Rookwood
Sarah Mc Farlane Date of Burial: 9 Mar 1924 Age: 76 Plot: Presbyterian 6D_Zone A/#/11272

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Error with name of residence - should be Kilmarnock.

NSW Death 11156/1922 MACFARLANE JAMES M - WILLIAM - AGNES - BURWOOD * 24 Sep 1922

The Sydney Morning Herald - Mon 25 Sep 1922 p.8
DEATHS
MACFARLANE.-September 24, at his residence Kilmarock, Underwood-rd., Homebush, James McGregor, late of Ultimo tramway depot, the beloved husband of Mary MacFarlane, aged 55 years.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16027002
The Sydney Morning Herald - Mon 25 Sep 1922 p.7
FUNERALS
MACFARLANE.-The Friends of Mrs. JAMES M. MACFARLANE, MALCOLM, and JEAN are invited to attend the Funeral of her beloved HUSBAND and their FATHER, late of Ultimo Tramway Depot ; to leave his late residence, Kilmarock, Underwood-road, Homebush, TO-MORROW, TUESDAY, at 2 p.m., for Presbyterian Cemetery, Rookwood (by road).
T. J. ANDREWS, Funeral Director, 25 Enmore-road, Newtown.

MACFARLANE.-The Friends of Mr. and Mrs. D. SANDS, Mr. and Mrs. G. MURPHY ...

MACFARLANE.-The Friends of Mr. and Mrs. A. PIKE and FAMILY, of Victoria, Mr. and Mrs. C. PIKE and FAMILY, of Leeton, are invited to attend the Funeral of their beloved BROTHER-IN-LAW ; to leave Underwood-road, Homebush, TO-MORROW, at 2 p.m., for Presbyterian Cemetery, Rookwood.
T. J. ANDREWS, Funeral Director.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Births 2
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 10
Ladybird1300 Marriages 8
DaveHam9 Marriages 29
DaveHam9 Deaths 12
DaveHam9 Deaths 52