• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Daniel McFARLANE

JoAshby

Wow you have been a busy boy!! Congrats, it was a mystery to me. I have photos of majority of the graves (just need to head out to Bronte and Randwick to have all the siblings done), and then to hopefully find the missing son. I've been working on a photobook on Mycanvas to give to my new biological father on his ancestors. Its been a lot of work, so only going 2 generations with births, marriage, death certificates, grave sites....

JoAshby

I actually thought Sarah Ann Macfarlane would of remarried as it stipulates that she was to keep the home in her husband William Macfarlane's Last Will and Testament, and can only be sold under certain circumstances. The house in Picton Road, Botany goes up for auction not long after his death. The address is 30 Picton Road, Botany, although the original house has been removed.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article14991786 |title=Advertising |newspaper=[[The Sydney Morning Herald]] |issue=22,103 |location=New South Wales, Australia |date=18 November 1908 |accessdate=30 September 2021 |page=17 |via=National Library of Australia}}

Sydney Morning Herald, 18th November 1908, Page 17
Picton Stret, North-Botany, off King-Street
"POSSILPARK", a neat cottage, of wood, on brick foundations, an iron roof, having verandah, hall, 4 rooms, kitchen, pantry. Detached washshed, and bathroom. Stabling of room, iron roof.
Land 40 feet to Picton-Street, depth 140 feet.
Auction Sale, Friday 20th November,
at Our Rooms, 98 Pitt Street, at 11.30
Richardson and Wrench, Ltd.
(was advertised on 7th, 11, 18 and 19th November).

JoAshby

I have paid for the download of the marriage between William Macfarlane and Sarah Pike (Barnett). Will transcribe later here today, hoping with more information I may be able to find a photos of William in someones family trees.

JoAshby

William Macfarane's second marriage to Sarah Ann Burnett (1st husband Alfred Pike).

Victoria, Australia Bdm -
1892 - Marriages solemnized in the District of Brunswick.
Marriage 421
Date: 26th December at 1892, at Manse Brunswick.
Name and surname of Parties - William Macfarlane and Sarah Pike
Condition of Parties:
William - Widower since 1890,
Sarah -Widower since 1898
Children by former Marriage
William - 9, All alive,
Sarah - 6, All alive.
Birthplace:
William- Glasgow, Scotland
Sarah- Adelaide, South Australia
William- Iron Dresser, 50 years
Sarah - Housekeeper, 44 years
Address (Present and Usual)
Both answer: Jarvie Street, Brunswick to both questions.
Parents:
William: Daniel McFarlane (Miner) and Marion Watt.
Sarah: George Barnett (Labourer) and Elizabeth Bacon.
Minister: Allan Maculgan (unsure of surname), minister of Presbyterian church, Manse Brunswick
Signature: William Signed, and Sarah left her X mark
Witness (V?) Macvean and J Macvean.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
The Victorian marriages are hard to read just like those from ScotlandsPeoople.

I think that has to be the right minister and witnesses have same surname.

If you have any certificates with bits that are hard to read then you could put parts of the image on the Documents board. We have some members here you are good at deciphering handwriting. Do you know how to use the snipping tool in Windows? Can't post the full certificate as they are probably too large a file size for this site to accept and also there could be copyright issues for a full image.

JoAshby

Dave, I know that Isabella Macfarlane and David Sands are in your research trees.

It shows on Find a Grave they are in different positions in the same garden however, they are actually NEXT to each other. The positions of persons in this garden are not in numerical order it seems, so it took a while to find.

Isabella Sands - Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park
Matraville, Randwick City, New South Wales, Australia
PLOT Crematorium Chapel Gardens, Garden E2, Position 135
Placed next to husband David.

David Sands - Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park
Matraville, Randwick City, New South Wales, Australia
PLOT Crematorium Chapel Gardens, Garden E2, Position 214

For those that may want to find these ancestors in the future, they are actually together, it took a lot of searching as many markers cannot be read. They are placed at the start of the row, at the closest part of the chapel.
33 58'22.8"S
151 13'45.9'E

Cheers Joanne

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Births 2
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 10
Ladybird1300 Marriages 8
DaveHam9 Marriages 29
DaveHam9 Deaths 12
DaveHam9 Deaths 52