• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

David Aspinall`s father?

Hi. I am wondering if anyone can help. The info I have on David Aspinall`s Birth Cert is:-

Reg District; Culcheth, County of Lancaster
Date: 10th March 1851
Father: Ralph Aspinall
Mother: Ann Aspinall formerly Croston
Occupation of Father: weaver
Residence: Cross St, Bedford

I want to know anything anybody can find about Ralph (or Ann) as I have spent hours looking. :confused:

Thanks.

Hi Doug,

Here is the 1871 cesus that gives you more information about approximate dob of both parents and sibling along with street address. Also his and Ann marriage registery, which ooops :eek: not very long before David birth

Ann Crosston
Ralph Aspinall
Year of Registration: 1851
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Leigh
County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire
Volume: 21
Page: 487

Ralph Aspinall
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Ann
Where born: Scotland
Civil Parish: Bedford
Ecclesiastical parish: Bedford
Town: Leigh
County/Island: Lancashire
Street address: 18 cross street

Condition as to marriage:

Registration district: Leigh
Sub registration district: Culcheth

Household Members: Name Age
Ralph Aspinall 50
Ann Aspinall 38 (silk weaver)
David Aspinall 20 (coal miner)
Joseph Aspinall 16 (coal miner)
Peter Aspinall 13
Martha Aspinall 9
Mary Aspinall 5
Thomas Aspinall 3
Elizabeth Aspinall 1
>:D >:D :D I'll keep looking

Joyce

This looks like it might be Ralphs death registery

Ralph Aspinall
Year of Registration: 1898
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
Age at Death: 77
District: Leigh
County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire
Volume: 8c
Page: 145
:)
Joyce

Now if you order their marriage registery, it should be able to narrow down Ann's father then I think I might be able to get more infor on her, their was two possiblities that I had seen. I have the census for Ralph and Ann for 1881 and 1891 if you would like them, I think it does list more children:2fun: :2fun: >:D Joyce

Thanks Joyce. If Ralph was born in Scotland, that would be why I couldn`t find him.:D Looks like a bit of a shotgun wedding as well. I would love to have any info you have, I was beginning to doubt my sanity! Any hints on where I would look for a Scottish Birth for free would be much appreciated. I will send for the Marriage Cert as soon as poss. Thanks again Joyce.

Hi Doug,

here is 1881,

Ralph Aspinall
Where born: Scotland

Street address: Size House Place
Condition as to marriage: Married

Ralph Aspinall 60
Ann Aspinall 48
Martha Aspinall 19
Mary Aspinall 15
Thomas Aspinall 13
Elizabeth Aspinall 11
Annie Aspinall 7
James Aspinall 5
Ralph Aspinall 3

Ralph Aspinall
Where born: North Leith, Scotland

Ecclesiastical parish: St Thomas
Town: Leigh Lancaster

Street address: 19 sweet shop

Ralph Aspinall 70
Ann Aspinall 58
Mary Aspinall 25
Thomas Aspinall 23
Elizabeth Aspinall 21
James Aspinall 15
Ralph Aspinall 13

hope this helps>:D :) :2fun: Joyce

Thanks Joyce. If Ralph was born in Scotland, that would be why I couldn`t find him.:D Looks like a bit of a shotgun wedding as well. I would love to have any info you have, I was beginning to doubt my sanity! Any hints on where I would look for a Scottish Birth for free would be much appreciated. I will send for the Marriage Cert as soon as poss. Thanks again Joyce.
sorry doug I wouldn't know where to find any birth registeries back that far. most start in 1837 or after.:'( :'( sorry Joyce

Joyce, you are marvellous and my thanks again for your help. I had got to the stage where I was beginning to doubt everything I have found.. Thanks to someone else saying keep a record of all your sources of info, I was able to check it all back and I`m sure I`ve sorted it all. It takes some doing, getting your head round all this stuff when you are a novice. :D

Joyce, you are marvellous and my thanks again for your help. I had got to the stage where I was beginning to doubt everything I have found.. Thanks to someone else saying keep a record of all your sources of info, I was able to check it all back and I`m sure I`ve sorted it all. It takes some doing, getting your head round all this stuff when you are a novice. :D
Hi Doug,

You'll get the hang of it and then you poor soul will be addicted like the rest of us here>:D Joyce