• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

David SMITH

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
From
Australia
Hello,

David SMITH b. abt 1826 Leith, Midlothian

Arrived in Australia 1851 - 1858 ???

The Sydney Morning Herald - Friday 8 October 1858 p.1
MARRIAGES
On the 6th Instant, by the Rev. H. Darling, Mr. David Smith, to Catharine, second daughter of Mr. George West, both of Scotland.

Three children but no trace of them after birth:

3219/1861 SMITH DAVID L(eslie)- DAVID - CATHERINE - CHIPPENDALE
3340/1863 SMITH GRACE A(lice) - DAVID - CATHERINE - CHIPPENDALE
3353/1865 SMITH JOHN W(est) - DAVID - CATHERINE - REDFERN

The Sydney Morning Herald - Wednesday 30 January 1867 p.1
DEATHS
On the 29th January, at Tarban Creek, DAVID SMITH, of Leith, Scotland, leaving a wife and two children to mourn their loss.

So one child had died.

Regards,

Dave

Gee Catherine didnt waste any time remarrying :eek:

Marriage
1009/1867 SANDS JAMES SMITH CATHERINE SYDNEY

The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954)
Saturday 23 November 1867

On the 5th instant, by special license, by the Rev. Dr. Steel, JAMES SANDS, eldest son of William Sands, baker, Sussex-street, Sydney, to CATHERINE SMITH, relict of the late David Smith, and eldest daughter of George West, of Gorbridge, both of Scotland. Edinburgh and Dunfermline papers please copy.

Possible Death index
914/1882 SANDS CATHERINE GEORGE DIED SYDNEY SYDNEY

Yeah i know passenger list for David, im looking still :biggrin:

Yes, that's right. ;) Well, I presume she had two young children. I have the middle names of the children but that's no use because I can't find a marriage or a death for any of them.

SANDS Catherine Funeral notice 05MAY1882 Funeral late of Sussex-street SMH 04MAY1882

Seems the Presbyterian Church has not allowed the marriage register of that church to be filmed.

Catherine and sister Eliza arrived on vessel 'Admiral Lyons' 15 Sep 1857 "Housemaids from Edinburgh".

The kids would have been young when their father died, maybe they might have gone under the Sands name when their mother remarried :confused:

Been into the papers again i have :rolleyes: There was a inquest into David's death.

Thanks. Oh. I didn't know there was an inquest.

I always wondered why Tarban Creek because of the strange wording:

The Sydney Morning Herald - Wednesday 30 January 1867 p.10
FUNERALS
The remains of Mr. DAVID SMITH will be interred on the 30th, at Tarban Creek, at 3 o'clock.

Sounds like he had been blown to pieces in an explosion.

He died in the asylum at Tarban Creek.

The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954)
Saturday 2 February 1867

An inquept was held at the Lunatic Asylam 1 orban, on Ihe 30th Jtnuiry, by Mr Walter Brown, ccorer of thedtstnet, on the body of David Smith, apjtient of the asylum Fren the evidence of Dr Wa-dley, tha assistant surgeon, it appeared that on tho morning of tha CJ h January, about G o cloc«., on going his usual rounds, m company with tho chief attendant they found the deceased dead in his bed Verdict, " D ed trom ocuto mania, anaing from disease of the brain

I cant find anything neither on the kids from the first marriage. Wonder what happened to them:confused:
Wish we had census records like England and places:rolleyes:

Thanks for looking.

Yeah, I can't find anything on them either.

"Cadbury Rexona Colgate SPC Omo Fab John West Smith Chips Wrigleys..."

Ok, that does not count. :2fun:

Is there a tree anywhere on this lot? :confused:

I found the kids to Catherine's 2nd marriage. Seems to be more of a record on them that the kids from the 1st marriage.

No, no tree that I know of. Yes, the Sands have several descendants who have done some work on that family, also from Scotland. More notices in TROVE for that lot.

Back