• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Dead End -Nellie (Ellen) Kerr

horse

Loyal Member
Its okay Geoff, I was proving it to myself. Yes obituaries are wrong sometimes too. Gravestones are wrong too more often than we think. And we know trees are :biggrin: But at least she has her parents from the marriage.

Barbara
Very true...

The parents have confirmed the 1881 & 1891 censuses. Also, James Dick nephew cements it.

Geoff

Hi Barbara,
I went through all I have on this family last nite after hearing from you and in the end I think the obituary is in error re: the marriage. The dates you found under Helen match perfectly with this family, Samuel and Christina's births and the only Helen Kerr born in that in range helped too.

The different name surprised me, as all my searching has been under Nellie or Ellen, but it makes sense.

I will go to the link you sent when I have some focused time and that should help.
Thank you both so much - and I hope this opens up some more avenues.
r

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
you are very welcome, you can see from the marriage I did put on the information you get on a Scottish record. If you get the record of Helen's parents' marriage you will find their parents too. It is once you get past the 1855 registration mark it gets a bit more difficult. But death records are just as good and give you parents of the deceased according to the informant.

Barbara

Geoff, I see you found the obit that I have - awesome. John's parents were indeed Samuel and Mary Jane Mitchell. John was a miner although not in the conventional sense. He supervised miners in the prison. Leavenworth prison operated a mine inside the prison at the time and all prisoners were made to be miners. The prison still operates but the mine inside was closed down years ago.

John or his father Samuel actually wrote down a small amount of information about that family - not many dates but some names. I have the original paper.

I cannot begin to tell the two of you how excited I am about what you two have done. It is opening up doors to a line I know nothing about.
Barbara, I will be doing some searching with the new information this weekend.

THANK YOU! You rock!:D
r