• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Death Cert for a british subject Died in Canada

I am trying to source a Death Certificate for my uncle who died in Vancouver on the 20-04-1959.
have been upto the FRCO in london but to no avail he is buried in charlton cemetery,Dover in Kent have contacted them but they only have his name on record not any details of a Death Cert.
this has been a thorn in my side for the last 4 years since i started my research but keep coming up against a brick wall.
i once was told that a death cert mite not have been issued in canada back then but i would of thought once the body had been shipped back to this country one would have been issued.
have spoken to the surviving members of the family but no one seems to know if one was issued or who might have it if one was issued
would like to put this to bed now.

DEREK SIMMONS DIED 20-04-1955

Many Thanks

Nigel:confused:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I am trying to source a Death Certificate for my uncle who died in Vancouver on the 20-04-1959.
have been upto the FRCO in london but to no avail he is buried in charlton cemetery,Dover in Kent have contacted them but they only have his name on record not any details of a Death Cert.
this has been a thorn in my side for the last 4 years since i started my research but keep coming up against a brick wall.
i once was told that a death cert mite not have been issued in canada back then but i would of thought once the body had been shipped back to this country one would have been issued.
have spoken to the surviving members of the family but no one seems to know if one was issued or who might have it if one was issued
would like to put this to bed now.

DEREK SIMMONS DIED 20-04-1955

Many Thanks

Nigel:confused:

Hi Nigel, As you have been searching for 4yrs, these might seem daft questions.:D
Do you know how and where he died. Do you know his address in Vancouver. The method of his transportation to England and where he arrived.

Steve.:)

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Nigel,

I woud have thought that the death certificate to have have been issued in Canada as that is where the death occured and signed by a doctor or coroner for the body to be released.

When you went to the FRC did you look in the overseas death records? as these are on findmymypast site.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

I was told once that even if they were British, the death was probably just registered locally in the area and only forwarded back to England if registered at The British Embassy.

Ben

thank you all for your replys, i did check the overseas records whilst i was up the FRC for the year he died i dont have an address for him in vancouver apparently he just died in his sleep? i have no other information ie transportation back from canada or what route it took to come back to Dover i cant see that no death certificate would have been issued or the body wouldn't have been released back to this country the only other infomation was that he worked for B.O.A.C as a flight engineer which i can only presume was at Vancouver Airport i even found an address for the B.O.A.C archives for old personal but came to a dead end excuse the pun
kind regards

Nigel:)

Hi juliejtp

Thank you for looking, i knew he worked at Vancouver airport as a flight engineer so i presumed he lived near by as he died in his sleep or another thought he may have been on a stopover and died in his sleep whilst there?
but any information is very vague from family members i'm beginning to get a feeling there is more to this than meets the eye and no one really wants to volonteer the information.
perhaps my imagination running away with me:)

regards

Nigel

Last edited: