• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Death of William Soames Bishop

michelle28

Searching for any information regarding the death of my great grandfather William Soames Bishop.
My nana (williams daughter) tells me he was born 2 Aug 1877 at Erpingham.
He was a fisherman in Sheringham and later Grimsby.
He apparently died 31 Dec 1939 at Grimsby. I cannot find any record of his death.
Found his birth on FREE BDM at Erpingham in 1877 but the middle name is spelt SOANES (which is incorrect)

Also searching for death of his son. Also named William Soames Bishop, born in Jun 1911 at Grimsby and died in 1940 at Cleethorpes, he was 29 years old. I would like to know how he died.

The spelling of the middle name is different in some records. I have found SOAMES, SOANES, SOAMS. My Nana assures me it was spelt SOAMES.

I will be very very grateful if anyone can help me with this.
Thank you Michelle

oznannie

Loyal Member
Well done Dave finding both deaths.
I had a squizz in 191$ census with no luck.
Wm jr may have been born after census date.
Don't know his mother's name, wife of Wm snr

ozn

Hi
Your fella seem to have disappeared on the census
I think I found his marriage - O/D 1907 Grimsby ref 7a 1435
Brides were Agnes Louisa Wilson or Mary Ann Redgrave. Can you help with her name? This may help find them on 1901 as William may have been at sea and not recorded. Unfortunately William Junior was born in the 2nd qtr of 1911. If he had waited a month his mother's maiden name would have been given!
dave

michelle28

From what I have found on the FREE BDM uk is that William Soames Bishop was married 2 times before. My Nana is still embarassed by the fact her parents never married. So no marriage cert for them.
I found he was first married in 1898 but I dont know to whom. They had a son William Soames Bishop who was born in March 1899 and died in Jun 1899.
(poor baby, only 3 months old). I then found another marriage in 1907 at Grimsby.
Another son named William Soames Bishop was born in 1911 at Grimsby and died in 1940.
My Nana remembers him as Billy, although she did not know he died in 1940.

He then hooked up with Minnie Ewin Parker (My Great grandmother) where they had 3 children
Minnie Bishop 1925 (still alive, living in Sydney)
Dorothy Mary Biship 1927 (still alive- My Nana)
Ronald Soames Bishop 1930 ? (still alive living in Majorca, Spain)

Unfortunately my Nana was only 12 were her father died (he was already 50 when she was born) she says he was out at sea much of the time and she never got to spend much time with him and remembers very little and is following my research very closely.

Thanks DaveHam for the link, I will ordering their death certs

michelle28

I would say he was still married to his first wife. It could be either Mary Ann Hardy or Minnie Sime. Hard to determine which because my Nana's sister's name is Minnie, but so was their mother's name :confused: As for his bride in 1907, again the name Mary could be a connection as my Nana's middle name is Mary, so could be Mary Ann Redgrave. My Nana had no idea about her fathers first marriage until I told her :eek:

There is no one in the family with the names Agnes or Louisa.
Apparently the second wife (which nana thought was the first) left Willam and took the children to live in Canada.

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Michelle,

I tried to sort out the WILSON & REDGRAVE but have had no luck so far. Need someone with access to more sites.

Found this one and also don't have them sorted:

Marriages Sep 1898
Bishop William Soanes Grimsby 7a 1322
HARDY Mary Ann Grimsby 7a 1322
Sime Minnie Grimsby 7a 1322
WILKINSON George William Grimsby 7a 1322

Regards,

Dave

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi Dave
When you get marriages as you listed, it makes you appreciate the vollies who do so much work in county bmd's.
I've been very lucky with Lancs/Ches etc etc.
oznannie

1901 one of the grooms George W Wilkinson is listed in Grimsby
his wife is Minnie and they have a 1yr old son, which would fit in
with wedding date.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Ozn,

Yes, very much so. I only wish FreeDMD would extend the index by matching those that are known.

I was hoping someone with access to 1901 would be able to match them. Thanks.

Regards,

Dave

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi :)
I can't answer that one except to say in the census ten years after 1901
Wm & Minnie are together with their baby Sidney from 1901 & other kiddies living in Grimsby.
ozn