• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Death record for Elizabeth.

Im looking for the Death of Elizabeth White.She was aged 23yrs and was listed as my Grandfathers 1st wife in the 1891 census. In 1903 he married my grandmother and he stated he was a widower. I do not know her maiden name only that she born in St.Clements London in the 1891 census they were living in Walthamstow London.I cant find their marriage cert either which is strange because surely he wouldnt say he was a widower if he wasnt. Anyway thanks for reading this and I would be grateful for any help

dochines

Valued Member
I have spent some time loking at this for you today. I have not got any definite answers for you but as no one else seems to have offered an answer I thought I would share my thinking with you

I found them together in the 1901 census at 3 Gamuel Rd Walthamstow. Both stated that they were aged 23. it was interesting to see Edwards occupation as an athlete. I do not think I have seen that before as an occupation

It is of course possible that Elizabeth increased her age so that she would be over 21 when she married Edward. They did not make themselves younger very often at this age. That means she was born on or after 1868.

Asuming she was at least 16 when they married we are looking for a marriage after 1895 until census date 1901 (Sunday 5th April)

She was born in St Clements and now in Walthamstow. she could have been married anywhere but these two locations are top of the list.

I therefore did a search of all Edward Whites born about 1868 marrying an Elizabeth between 1895 and 1901

I think ultimately, unless you have or find other information you may have to try and select the best options, bite the bullet and buy the marriage
certificates

Walthamstow came under West Ham at this time

I would look first at the marriage between an Edward White and Elizabeth Ann Healey 1898 3Q west Ham 4a 514

A second try would be to Eliza Ann Jones 1900 4Q West Ham 4a 225

if those are wrong there are others which are less likely but possible

Turning now to her suposed death between 5th April 1901 and Edward's second marriage in 1903. this is a small window to search

( I am of course assuming she did die and Edward was not a bigamist! That was not that uncommon and I have a case in my family)

Again looking for her death I would start in Walthamstow ( West Ham district)

But could not find a good match. There are two, both not very likely, unless the marriage certificates suggest a link with Pontypridd or Poole

Elizabeth White born 1868 died 2Q 1902 aged 34 at Pontypridd Glamorgan
11a 251

Elizabeth White died 1903 Poole 2Q 5a 157

The problem with death certificates is that the date of birth recorded is dependant on the informant knowing the exact age and being good at arithmetic. None of the other Elizabeth Whites deaths between 1901 and 1903 have a calculated birth day of 1868

finally a possible cause of death would be associated with child birth. I have not had time yet but it would be worth searching for a death of a baby and mother at the same time between 1901-1903

I am really sorry not to have an answer for you but I hope I have given you some pointers. I will watch developments with interest . Did the athletics career offer any clues?

Hi Dochines'
First of all thank you for taking the time and trouble to help my quest in finding info about Edward & Elizabeth. I will take your advice and look up the regs you have found. From what I can remember from relies is that Edward, much against his father's approval, began a career as a bare fisted fighter and he became British boxing Champion in 1887,which made him about 19yrs at the time. So maybe he put "Athlete" in the 1891 as a 'more respectable' occupation. I really dont know. I just wish that I had listened more to my family when I was younger. Thank you once again
Madeleine

dochines

Valued Member
Hi Madelaine,

I was horrified to find I had made such an important and misleading typo in my last posting. I did of course find them in 1891 not 1901

That alters of course the possible references to look up but does not alter the way I was thinking to tackle the problem. There is now a 13 year window for Elizabeths death not just 3.

I will have another look tonight and try not to repeat any terrible typos!!

Please forgive the error I hope you have not applied for certs and wasted money

dochines

dochines

Valued Member
Hi
still very embarrassed at my error!

I did repeat my search for you

I still think you may have to resort to checking real certs andhoefullynot to have to buy too many

Deaths to consider include

Elizabeth White born 1868 died oct 1894 St Pancras
Elizabeth Frances White born 1868 died Oct 1898 Mile End old town
Elizabeth Rebecca White born 1868 died 1896 Lambeth

and just in case she increased her age to marry; consider

Elizabeth White born 1864 died 1899 in West Ham which includes Walthamstow

Marriage no real good match here
one outside possibility
Edward White aged 21 marries Lizzie Osbourne aged 22 on 25 Dec 1890 at St Marks Victoria Park. Edward described as a paker. Lizzie's father was James Osbourne a gardener and Edward's father was George White a bootmaker

best wishes

dochines

Hi
still very embarrassed at my error!

I did repeat my search for you

I still think you may have to resort to checking real certs andhoefullynot to have to buy too many

Deaths to consider include

Elizabeth White born 1868 died oct 1894 St Pancras
Elizabeth Frances White born 1868 died Oct 1898 Mile End old town
Elizabeth Rebecca White born 1868 died 1896 Lambeth

and just in case she increased her age to marry; consider

Elizabeth White born 1864 died 1899 in West Ham which includes Walthamstow

Marriage no real good match here
one outside possibility
Edward White aged 21 marries Lizzie Osbourne aged 22 on 25 Dec 1890 at St Marks Victoria Park. Edward described as a paker. Lizzie's father was James Osbourne a gardener and Edward's father was George White a bootmaker

best wishes

dochines
Hi Dochines,
No worries I guessed you meant 1891! I now follow your leads to see where they take me and as you say I will most probably have to apply for a death cert.Thanks again
Madeleine