• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

death

dochines

Valued Member
There should be a death certificate issued following a Coroners inquest. An inquest should have taken place one all hope of survival had gone. That assumes of course that he had really been lost at sea and not merely used that story to start a new life somewhere else with another wife?

Another problem is that the vessel may have put in at another port after the loss at sea and so the death could have been recorded almost anywhere round the coast and not in the home location.

dochines

many thanks for your replies..the person that i refer to was my great grandfather. he served in the navy and served aboard hms hawke, which was torpedoed by a german u9 sub on the 15th october 1914..in the north sea...524 drowned and 70 survivers

dochines

Valued Member
Just in case you are not aware if you do a search on Google or similar you will find a lot of details, pictures of the vessel and crew members on a dedicated web site together with other people searching for information about its sinking. I just put HMS Hawke torpedo 1914 and was amazed at what was there.

good luck with your further searches

dochines

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Post your great grandfathers name and will have a look on the overseas deaths on Findmypast. There is a section on GRO deaths Royal Navy all ranks indices 1914-1921. My units run out in a couple of days so after that wont be able to look up.