• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Decipher County!

emeltee

Loyal Member
I tried searching for Enochs minus a surname as well as I have come across entries where the enumerator has given the family the same surname as the family in the entry above them. No luck though. A real mystery man.

Emeltee

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Looking at all the images I have for the Upstone family it appears that they moved around a lot and in the later years spent time in the Union's.

School records:-
1890 William and Hannah - 1 Ravensby Court, Poplar
1891 Sarah Ann - 6 Bird in Hnad Court, Poplar
1891 Hannah - 2 Botolph Road, Poplar
1892 William Ed - 2 Botolph Road, Poplar
1895 Ernest - 2 Bird in Hand Court, Poplar

1891 Census - 2 Botolph Road, Poplar

1916 Hackney Union with reference to Ethel May Upstone :-

In that in 1897 said Enoch Upstone did reside for about 3 years at 8 Norris Road and 6 Botolph Road, Poplar

They appear to me that they were on the poverty line with Enoch as a Potman(1891 census) with a low income!

Peter

ptjw7

Loyal Member
I have just received the marriage certificate and it doesn't clear up much!

Sarah Esplin says she is 28 and this ties with the 1891 census as its only one year out.
Enoch Upstone says he is 30 but in the 1891 census he says he is 44 which will make him 36 in 1883!

Enoch is living at 1 Sabbarton Street, Poplar he is not there in the 1881 census but the house does have boarders.

Sarah is living at (looks like) 85 Stebondale Street in the 1881 census the family is living at 60 Stebondale Street(almost the same)

Only fresh information is Enoch's father is shown as William Upstone Farm Labourer.

Peter

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Peter,

Enoch may have lowered his age being Sarah was a bit younger. The death index gives his year of birth 1844. Working on the assumption that Enoch Elisha may be your man, his father is also William, mother Sarah. There are two William and Sarahs. Another thing Enoch Elisha Upstone and wife Susannah nee Townley had a daughter Anna louisa born 1873 died 1877. Your Enoch had a daughter Hannah Louisa.

Will come back to this as I have somethimg to do. :)

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Thanks Julie.
Done some more looking and found several work house reports which state Enoch's age.
1906 - says 1844
1908 - says 1837 (very blurred image)
2 mar 1909 - discharge 1844
18 Sep 1913 - admitted 1844
31 Jul 1914 discharged 1844

So going by all this then the 1844 seems most likely but the birth of Enoch Elisha Upstone in Newbottle, Northampton does not fit with the 1891 Census of Oxfordshire or Bedfordshire!

Peter

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Peter,

I've tried tieing up the 3 Enochs. I think that the Enoch in 1871 is the same who married Susannah Townley. The 1871 census and the marriage in 1872 are in the registration district of Aston. The Enoch in 1861 which Ellie found looks to be your Enoch. Still cant think as to why neither cannot be found on the 1851 census, as they are all born roughly the same year. Sussanh Upstone is a widow in 1891/1901/1911. No death found for Enoch Elisha Upstone between 1881-1891. 1881 has her as married. Something else may turn up. 😊

ptjw7

Loyal Member
It does seem to be a bit strange that these Enoch's are so elusive.

One possible explanation is poor guess work on the part of the enumerator as to the spelling of Upstone or of the transcriber.

I did find a transcription that said Opstone - a very flowery 'U' but even searching for just Enoch doesn't bear fruit!

Peter

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Peter

Did Enoch sign or leave a mark on the marriage certificate? Perhaps one day the marriage image for Enoch who married Susannah will be online and the signature can be compared, thats if both signed. :)

ptjw7

Loyal Member
The writing on the certificate is all in one hand - as it was in a Register Office I suspect that it is the copy and not from the original.

Peter

Looking at the certificates I have most of them are copies all in the same hand - as most have come from the Record Office then they would be copies wouldn't they!
I think the only ones with a real signature are the ones in the Church or the actual Register Office Book.

Peter

Last edited: