• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

decipher name

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Hi All,
I have this marriage for John Buckman and ?.
Several trees on antree give the female name as Mary Ann Birdflitton but I can find no other person with a name like that on any site.
My view is that it is probable a double barrel name such as Bird Hilton but could be anything, any ideas.

peter

Last edited:

emeltee

Loyal Member
Yes I do see what you mean. I can't find a birth for her or any other Birdfletton. However even Anc and fmp give Birdfletton. Have you tried using Soundex to see what other variants come up?

Emeltee

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
The transcription of the Middlesex marriage registers gives the name as Birdfletton but it looks to be written as heard because it does not seem to exist as such.

I've tried Bird* but found nothing.

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Thanks everyone for trying but no joy.
I think I will send for one of childrens birth cert and see if the mothers name is on it!

I will have to pick carefully as one of the children was born after the father died?
Peter

emeltee

Loyal Member
What a shame that the cert didn't answer all the questions! I was wondering if her name was originally May Ann Bird Flitton and I have found a Mary Ann Flitton on familysearch the daughter of James Flitton and Elizabeth Bird. The only snag is that she was baptised 2/1/1808 in Bassingbourn, Cambridge. Do you have any details about her at all, other than her marriage to John Buckman. Does she appear on any Censuses?

Emeltee

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Thanks for that but she was only on the 1841 census, died 1849 and it reckons she was local to Edmonton, London but I suppose she could have come from anywhere.
I have also been thinking that she could be a Flitton with mother a Bird, as you have suggested, but I cannot think of anyway to prove it!

Peter