• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Decipher word on 1911 Census

Hello,
I'm trying to decipher a word on an image from 1911 Census and having no luck, I'm hoping it will be plain to someone else. The image shows that my Ancestors were born in Ireland which is followed by..NK..I assume that's not known but it's the other word written across both entries in green that I can't decipher.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you :)

Hi armstrong1961,
I see the word as Resedent? maybe a misspelling of resident.
Thank you so much for your quick response, I took another look at my full census image and yes..resident is right..I just could not see it myself lol...."I over-looked the part on census return where they had to put whether Visitor or resident" ....back to the drawing board I'm afraid I've been trying to find where in Ireland he was born for a long time and all census returns only say Ireland...seems as if he didn't know himself.

Many Thanks once again :)

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

It's very common on census records of many countries when someone is born in another country to simply put the country and not a town or county as well. I've seen that on records from England, Scotland, America, Canada, Argentina. Does not necessarily mean the person is unaware of their place of birth.

Regards,

Dave

Hello,

It's very common on census records of many countries when someone is born in another country to simply put the country and not a town or county as well. I've seen that on records from England, Scotland, America, Canada, Argentina. Does not necessarily mean the person is unaware of their place of birth.

Regards,

Dave
That's great to know, thank you very much for the info, I'll keep on searching :)

Regards Eileen

Hi Eileen.....why not tell us his/her name.

Someone maybe able to help you.
Hello, Thank you and yes of course I will, the details I have so far are as follows :-

John Quinn (born 1841 Ireland) - He married Mary Graley/Grealey (born 1847 Sligo Ireland) on 6th December 1864 at St. Marys Roman Catholic Chapel, Alnwick Northumberland, England...witnesses were Charles McFall and Ann Duffy...on the marriage certificate it lists his Father as James Quinn Labourer. (there seems to have been a mistake made at the time as it also has the name John there which had been crossed out and replaced with James...beside the name James are the numbers 1131, which I assume are there because of the mistake)

I have John and family in the Census returns for Alnwick Northumberland from 1871 through to 1911.

It's finding where in Ireland he came from which is proving difficult and any help at all would be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance :)

Have you seen his birth certificate Eileen?

Surely would be on that:confused:
Sorry no I don't have his Birth Certificate leefer, it's a copy of his Marriage Certificate that I have, that's the info I posted earlier...I need to find where he was born in Ireland so I can search for records and info of his parents and other family members (if any) that's why I've been stuck for a long time on John Quinn :(