• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Devils Bridge

My 4x great grandfather is known in family annecdotes as Durham of Devils Bridge. I have not been able to trace him in the well known Devils Bridges at Aberystwyth or Kirby Lonsdale and wondered if any one knew of other Devils Bridges in the 1700's. His son may have been born in London, he was certainly married there in 1800.

patrickw

Dont know if its too late to try to help with this question or not, and the little information I have may not even be accurate enough for you to use, but...
I remember about thirty years ago, while serving in the Royal Marines we spent many hours "yomping" across Dartmoor and one of the r.v.'s that we used was a location known as devils bridge. I don't know if this was an actual geographical name or just a slang name for what was even then a pretty run down old stone bridge over a small but very fast river. Hope this helps a little