• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Did the Stewart family move to midlothian area.

Braveheart

Hello there , can you help. I am looking for the stewart family, did they move to Gorebridge, midlothian. I know John stewart was a game keeper in Pitmachie, Aberdeenshire and on 24/06/1881 he married Catherine Stewart-nee- Mcdonald in Little Dunkeld, and they had son John simpson stewart born around 1883
please can someone look this up for me
thank you braveheart

Last edited by a moderator:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Braveheart,

Have had a look at the 1891 census, putting in county of Midlothian, the only one that looks the closet is a John Stewart born Greenside Edinburgh abt 1883 with mother Catherine born Auchterarder, Perthshire plus siblings, as I only have access to transcriptions for the Scottish census I dont know if this Catherine is widowed or not.

Edited This John being the youngest and the eldest being born abt 1874 dosnt coincide with John and Catherines marriage unless John snr was married before but personally I think I've got the wrong family.

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Braveheart,

I'm not doing very well with this. Have found in 1891 a John and Catherine Stewart, John is a gamekeeper born abt 1852 Raunoch, Perthshire, Catherine born abt 1855 Fortingall, Perthshire with children Donald age 8,
Annie 7, Catherine 5 and James age 2, no son John with them.

There is a Catherine McDonald in 1881 born abt 1855 Fortingal(l), Perthshire, and also found this John Stewart born abt 1853 born Fortingal G, occ gamekeeper.

Last edited:

Braveheart

Hi julie thanks for the information, in your first post catherine, is her surname Stewart.It seems to me that there is certain information in both of your posts that might tie together.

1- with john stewart born Greenside,Edinburgh abt 1883 and mother Catherine born Auchterarder,perthshire. was her maiden Mcdonald and her married name stewart.
This could be the tie to Edinburgh ??? but not quite sure yet

2- this one looks good with catherine Mcdonald and john stewart both born in fortingal, perthshire. these are the right age to be john stewart born in 1883 as his parents.
and that john stewart born 1853 was a gamekeeper
thank you julie

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member

Civil parish Edinburgh St Stephen
67 Cumberland Street

Catherine Stewart head age 60 born Auchterarder, Perthshire
Jane Stewart dau age 35 occ tobacconist born Edinburgh
Annie Stewart dau age 33 born Edinburgh
Peter Stewart son age 28 occ Printer Compositor born Edinburgh
Andrew Stewart son age 24 occ coal merchant born Edinburgh
Elizabeth dau age 21 occ Tobacconists Shop Assist born Edinburgh
John Stewart son age 18 occ Apprentice Piano Tuner born Edinburgh

Thats the family from my 1st post.

Braveheart

I been looking into his army records and he didn't use his middle name for that either !!!!!

I don't think that family you have put on your last post, is the right one becauce john simpson stewart on his married certifcate , it has him as a coalminer.
so the catherine and john from fortingal, plus game keeper looks like the best one
cheers braveheart

Last edited: