• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Did you know!

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Did you know!
As England is so old and small, they started running out of places to bury people.
So, they started digging up coffins, taking the bones out and reusing the graves. This is when they discovered that some of the coffins had scratch marks on the inside. One out of 25 coffins were this way and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they decided they would tie a string on their wrist and lead it through the coffin, up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night to listen for the bell.
Thus the saying "graveyard shift".
If the bell would ring they would know that someone was "saved by the bell" or he was a"dead ringer"
Wonder where the original bones went?

Has anyone else got any "Did you know!" facts?
Please post here
Regards,
Dave

dawnlea

Hi everybody ;D

If I had to do that job and the bell actually rang - I'd run as fast as my feet could carry me - in the opposite direction!!! There is no way that I could actually dig up that grave, even if the person in it was still alive! Must go down in history as one of the worst jobs you could have.

carlo

Isuppose we all know where the saying "Swinging the lead" is from. But for those that don't know. In the days of sailing ships, which had neither radio, radar and the such. It was the duty of the "Forward watch" to sound out the depth of water under the ship. This was done by heaving a rope forward of the ship to sound out the bottom. The rope was knotted in one fathom intervals (I think) and when a depth was determined the depth was shouted to those that were interested. No I never had to do it. I'm not that old.