• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Died 29 February 1932. leap year Day.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
My great, great, great grandmother Isabella Richardson died on the 29th February 1932 at Birds Farm, Boreham, Essex aged 79. The death cert arrived this morning.

A once every 4 year chance of that and she died on a leap year day. :eek:

ianto73

Valued Member
Quite unusual, and according to family my late grandfather was born on a leap year day - 29 February 1888, but no one has had any luck tracing his birth registration over a period of 7 years.

However, within my 2010 Diary from my Regimental Association, I have the full details of how to calculate which day for every date from 1800 to 2050 and that has produced some interesting facts about the days some of my rellies got married in the 1800's.

Brian

ianto73

Valued Member
No Idea I'm afraid - I tried to find any birth and death details of his father John William Locke and sadly it really is "a needle in a haystack".
One of my cousins was living with Frank Roland Locke and his wife and she doesn't recall much, except that some family visitors came from Essex once but that could also have been the grandmother's relatives.
The only reason Leicester was included in the previous attempts years ago was 1. My grandmother came from there; 2. My grandfather was an expert stocking knitter by hand and there was a stocking trade there.
Doing all this has made me appreciate the phrase "clutching at straws".

Brian

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Maybe a baptism would be a good idea. See what I mean about how it can be a failure to find a birth entry even after the penalty was introduced in 1874.

Maybe Frank was born abroad.