• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Died 8th August. Buried Sept 2nd?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

My 7xgreat grandfather Dennis Helsdon died in August 1804 aged 76 in St George Colegate, Norwich Norfolk but was buried at St Augustine, Norfolk.

The burial says he was of St George Colegate and that he died on the 8th August 1804. Buried September 2nd.

I wonder why there was a 3 week interval inbetween his death date and internment??

Ben

Hi

My 7xgreat grandfather Dennis Helsdon died in August 1804 aged 76 in St George Colegate, Norwich Norfolk but was buried at St Augustine, Norfolk.

The burial says he was of St George Colegate and that he died on the 8th August 1804. Buried September 2nd.

I wonder why there was a 3 week interval inbetween his death date and internment??

Ben
Hi Ben

I may be talking complete trash (as usual) but was there not a change in the calender so loosing a few weeks? when was that? sure I read it on the Oxford P.R.s

Gwen :)

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hey there Ben
That is a long time from death to burial isnt it? Most of mine died one day and were buried the next. I wonder if there is anyway of finding out why the wait.

gibbo

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Was he a non conformist? There was a lot of battles between non conformists and local vicars who demanded large fees for them being buried in the churchyard.
Hi duckweed

No i think he was an Anglican. He had all his children baptised in an Anglican church. I think now it was probably an inquest or he couldn't be buried at Colegate. Or there was a delay in getting the burial sorted.

Ben

leefer

Loyal Member
It could be just a case of thats when the next date was available,,,death came in large numbers at a regular intervals in them days...even today there can be a long delay because of the same reasons.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi leefer

Norwich in 1804 was quite a crowded city. Plus it was summer months as well. It could have been just a delay in the burial. That area of Norwich was full of weavers and spinners. Maybe there was an overload in the number of burial requests to St George Colegate and they had to bury him somewhere else.

Bne

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Undertaking was a lucrative buisness in those days Benny..
I am glad the burial notes the date of death. It might be a good idea to check The Norwich Gazette to see if there was an inquest or something but I think it could be a simple explanation such as a busy schedule. I would imagine in the summer in a city due to hot weather the death toll rose like it did in winter.