• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Discharge with Ignominy

Hi, I'm new here, and I have a problem that I'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light on.

I'm researching my grandfather, Edward Henry Neate. He was born in May 1896 in London. Things I know for sure about him are that at the time of his marriage in 1917 he was a Gunner, RMA. When my mother was born in 1924, he was a Leading Aircraftsman RAF. When she married, he was recorded as Flight Lieutenant, RAF. I know that he was frequently stationed abroad, namely Aden and Egypt, and that the family were often there too (I have photos of them there). I have pictures of him with "his men", of him in uniform, all sorts. As far as I'm aware he was stationed abroad at least during the 20's and 30's and may have returned home around 1936.

But on doing a search on findmypast no RAF records come up.

I have a couple of questions. How would he become RAF when he was a gunner in the RMA, for which I think there is some record of him receiving medals for service in WW1, again according to findmypast, yet nothing for his service in the RAF. Sadly, all his children have now passed on, so there's no-one I can ask further questions of.

Interestingly, findmypast again has turned up a Short Service Attestion for him (I believe) in Oct 1911 with the Royal Welch Fusiliers, where he may well have lied and said he was 2 years older than he was, and served for only 13 months when he was discharged with ignominy for striking an officer. I cannot be sure that it is the same Edward Henry Neate, but the mother's name is Agnes which is my Edward Henry's mother's name, and both were born in Clapham as well. An older and a younger brother were also mentioned, which coincide with his siblings.

Any suggestions how I can progress with this? Is it possible for someone who was discharged this way to be able to sign up again with another branch of the services, and apparently have a successful career? And how can I find the RAF records for Edward Henry.

I'm so sorry this has turned out so long, and I hope you don't get bored halfway through!

Thanks for any suggestions!
Jenny

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Occupations & Work 1
somerstown Occupations & Work 3
somerstown Occupations & Work 3