• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

DNA tests

From
England
One of my Great Grandfathers was born out of wedlock, and his mother later married, there is some speculation as to whether the man she married was his father.
I know the parentage of his siblings and can trace that line down to living people.
So if I had a DNA test, and so did someone I am sure is descended from the possible Gt Gt Grandfather would it be possible to establish if we share an ancestor 4 generations ago?
I know this technique can be used to prove parentage, but would it work going back 4 generations and then down again?, and if so how reliable would the results be?

Any ideas could be very helpful, as I might have been researching people who are absolutely no relation for the last few years!

Jon

Hi Jon

How long was the timescale inbetween the birth and the mothers marriage?

Have you found your great grandfathers baptism?

Ben

One of my Great Grandfathers was born out of wedlock, and his mother later married, there is some speculation as to whether the man she married was his father.
I know the parentage of his siblings and can trace that line down to living people.
So if I had a DNA test, and so did someone I am sure is descended from the possible Gt Gt Grandfather would it be possible to establish if we share an ancestor 4 generations ago?
I know this technique can be used to prove parentage, but would it work going back 4 generations and then down again?, and if so how reliable would the results be?

Any ideas could be very helpful, as I might have been researching people who are absolutely no relation for the last few years!

Jon

Jon,
I am interested if you ever went ahead with this,& if it helped. I have a similar situation in my family.My Grandmother was born out of wedlock, & I feel that her 'Father 'not named on birth certificate, was no the man who my G Grandmother married.
I am thinking of having this DNA test done, but not sure what it would prove.

Back