• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Do you think this makes sense . . .

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you think this little theory I have come up with sounds plausible. So here it is with the background information.

My great-great-great nan is Charlotte Tomlinson who was christened on the 6th of October 1833 in Ashover, Derbyshire. The only parent listed is Ann Tomlinson so I assumed when I found the record of her christening that Charlotte was illegitimate since there is no father mentioned.

I then checked out the 1841 census where I found a 40-year-old Ann and an 8-year old Charlotte living together in a place called Roff Close. Ann's occupation is a stocking maker.

In the 1851 census Charlotte is working as a servant and living with her employers and Ann is nowhere to be found. I discovered an Ann Tomlinson buried on the 12th of September 1845 - the only Ann Tomlinson buried in Ashover between the ten years of the 1841 and 1851 censuses - so this could be her.

Anyway that is the background information so now we get to the mystery.

As I have been unravelling my family tree I found out that when Charlotte had married my great-great-great grandad Francis Chapman in 1865 she had already been married (and presumably widowed although I have yet to find a record of her first husband's death) and had two children.

When Charlotte married Francis her name was Charlotte Elliott. I found a record of her marriage to her first husband Peter Elliott which is where the mystery begins.

Charlotte and Peter married on the 28th of January 1860 in North Wingfield, Derbyshire. The record states that Peter is the son of James Elliott and that Charlotte is the daughter of John Metcalf!

So now I have a mention of her father which is amazing since I thought I would never know who he was since she was illegitimate.

I then decided to search for this John Metcalf in the 1841 census. Since Ann and Charlotte lived in Ashover when she was born and up to the 1841 census I decided to search for John in Derbyshire.

Three John Metcalfs where discovered. I have decided that the most likely candidate for being Charlotte's father is a 40-year-old John who lives in nearby Chesterfield and who works as a lace runner. He is the same age as Ann whereas the other two Johns were 9 and 15 years younger. But the main reason why I think he could be Charlotte's father is that he is a lace runner and Ann is a stocking maker. I googled the two professions together and they seem to be connected with each other. I therefore think that John and Ann met each other through their lines of work. Do you think this seems plausible?

The spanner in the works is that in the 1841 census John appears to be married with 8 children! If he is Charlotte's father I don't know if he knew or acknowledged her but he is clearly on her marriage record so she must have known her father was a bloke called John Metcalf.

I have searched for John, his wife and their children in the 1851 census but I can't find any of them. I don't know if they moved away or died but it is very strange.

Anyway I'd appreciate your thoughts on this matter or if you have any insight into how John ended up on Charlotte's marriage record - if he would have to be her acknowledged father to end up on it or anything . . .

Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B FHUK General Chat Room 3
G FHUK General Chat Room 12
p.risboy FHUK Funny Forum 6
p.risboy FHUK Funny Forum 22