• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Dobbins information

I've hit a bit of a wall with my 2nd great grandmother (Eva Dobbins) and her father (Joseph Dobbins). Eva seems to be an interesting person, so I am keen to find out what I can about her.

I have her marriage certificate from the Irish Áis Taighde where she married my 2nd great grandfather (Sep 1905), Thomas Carroll. Her father is listed there as Joseph Dobbins (deceased, I think). His occupation is given as "colour sergeant."

Now, if you look up Eva Dobbins in the 1901 census, she is listed as a visitor at the same address on her marriage certificate. She is a 20 year-old accountant and her birthplace is given as Allahabad!

Here is where things get interesting - if you search for records on Sergeant Joseph Dobbins, I can find little but a medal card, showing he served in the Second Afghan War, 1878-1880. Could this be how Eva was born in Allahabad?

So the main crux of my question is: how would I go about tracing potential births in colonial India? Is that possible?