• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Dominic Burke

Hello my name is Lynette I have been doing my Family Tree for about 3 years now. My main Brick wall is my GGG Grandfather Dominic Burke born in the late 1700s perhaps in County Mayo. His son Peter Burke married Bridget Bagley on the 10th October 1839 in the Roman Catholic Chapel Coventry. I have plenty of information on them and their children. Take Care Lynette

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Lynette,

Do you know when and where Dominic died?

Also, when and where did Peter die?

I can't see any trees of help.

Dave

Last edited:
hello Dave Peter died 4th June 1858 at Coventry. Peter and Bridget lived at 66 Grey Friars Lane Coventry in the 1851 Census. Bridget was also at 66 Grey Friars Lane in 1861 Census. In 1871 it gets confusing Bridget Caulfield and Patrick Caulfield with Bridgets children are at 66 Grey Friars Lane. In 1881 Bridget Burke married is at 66 Grey Friars Lane Occupation Marine Store Dealer no sign of Patrick Caulfield. I think Patrick was a boarder and not Bridgets husband. I know Bridget from her marriage record and sons Navy record could not write and signed with a X. There is a marriage in 1862 for a Bridget Maria Burke to Patrick Caulfield but I have no records for Maria as her middle name. I hope this is not confusing. I am not sure when Dominic or Bridget died. A maybe marriage for Dominic to Margaret Domery 1803 Bloomsbury St George only because I have not found any others. Would Peters death certificate have his Parents names on it. Take Care Lynette

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Lynette,

Thanks for the details.

Peter's death certificate is most unlikley to have his parents names on it.

Our Irish experts have not logged on since you posted.

In the mean time we can try to sort out the events in England.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
We have two:

Name: Patrick Caulfield
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1871
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Birthplace: Ireland
Schedule Type: Household
Registration District: Coventry
Sub-District: St John
Parish: St Michael
County: Warwickshire
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Patrick Caulfield M 40 Ireland
Wife Bridget Caulfield F 50 Ireland
Son Thomas Burke M 17 Coventry, Warwickshire
Son Peter Burke M 14 Coventry, Warwickshire
Daughter Mary Burke F 12 Coventry, Warwickshire

Name: Patrick Caulfield
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1871
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Schedule Type: Household
Registration District: Whitechapel
Sub-District: Aldgate
Parish: St Botolph Without Aldgate
County: London, Middlesex
Self Patrick Caulfield M 54 Ireland
Wife Bridget M Caulfield F 51 Ireland

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
This marriage to add to the puzzle:

Patricium Caulfield
England Marriages, 1538–1973
marriage: 16 August 1857 St. Peters, Birmingham, Warwick
father: Patricii Caulfield
spouse: Bridgittam Towers
other: Thomæ Towers

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
RG11 Piece 3067 Folio 40 Page 12
Name: Bridget Burke
Age (Original): 62
Birth Year: 1819
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Marital Status: Married
Address: 66 Grey Friars Lane
Event Place: Coventry St Michael With St John, Warwickshire, England
Head Bridget Burke F 62 Ireland
Niece Mary Burke F 7 Coventry, Warwickshire, England
Boarder Margaret Burke F 21 Coventry, Warwickshire, England

Hello Dave and Horse you have both been very busy. Yes they are the Census records that I have. Peter and Bridget had 6 sons and 1 daughter. John born 1840 died 1904 , Dominick born 1844 died 1918 , Michael born 1848 died 1922 , James born 1851 died 1901 , Thomas married twice added Francis to his name for his second marriage born 1854 died 1918 , Peter born 1856 and Mary born 1859. They were all born in Coventry except for Dominick in 1844 he was born in County Mayo. I was thinking they may have gone back to County Mayo for a Funeral. I think the first son was named after Bridget's Father and the second after Peter's Father so perhaps the daughters name Mary is a clue to either Peter or Bridget's Mothers name. My cousin wrote a pamphlet type book called Dominick Burke's Descendents Coventry to Australia. This has the marriage Peter Burke full age Labourer Father Dominick Occupation Labourer and Bridget Bagley Occupation Hawker full age Father John Bagley sometimes written as Begley married on 10th Oct 1838 Catholic Chapel by Fr Samuel Day. Witnesses Cecily Lenihun and Joseph Dickison. Take Care Lynette :):)

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Lynette,

Do you know how niece Mary fits in?

The 1862 marriage you mentioned for Patrick must be for the 1871 census I posted with middle initial M for Bridget.

Wondering why in 1881 Bridget is listed as married. I've had no luck finding a death that looks right so all I can say is 1881-1911.

Dave

Hello Dave now I have had another look at the Census Mary is actually her Grandchild not her niece her parents were son Michael Burke and Rose Annie Burke nee Dalton. She is not on the 1881 census with them but is on the 1871 census with them. The Margaret Burke I think will also be a relative but not sure were she fits in yet. I can only think that the errors are because Bridget could not read and write. Some things might just remain a Mystery. Thank you for all your help. Take Care Lynette :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 88
Lyn22 Other Military Ancestry 2
DaveHam9 Marriages 3