• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

don patterson LYLE

jack

Hi there,

I am looking for a birth for Don Patterson Lyle born in 1875. Have no idea where in England he was born unfortuantely. His grandaughter is unsure. But we do know he was married in South Africa in 1898.

Can anyone assist?

Regards
Jackie

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Jackie,

Had a look on the birth register 1875 with 1yr either side nothing so far.
Could he have been Scottish?.

Only looked under Lyle not variations.

lizanne

Hi Jackie,
Sorry I can't find anything on the England/Wales births , nor on Scotland's People births.Nor anything that comes even close on the 1881 England/Wales/Scotland census.
Do you have a copy of his marriage certificate or his death certificate ?
I'm not to sure on the contents of South African certificates but these could hold more information.
Don could be short for Donald or the birth year could be out.

lizanne

Hi Jackie,
Do you have John's marriage certificate? that should give his fathers name and help to narrow it down a little.

I think that your John was probably born in Scotland or of Scottish descent There is a John P Lyle on the 1881 Scotland census but that gives his dob as 1877 ands he is living with grandparents.

There are also many John Lyles on the IGI bur that only goes to 1875.
There are also 9 John Lyles born in Scotland 1874-1876 but nothing under John Patterson Lyle 1870-1880

I also notice that there is a tree on Ancestry with a John Patterson Lyle b1872.
It gives parents etc. The parents died in Natal. But if it the same family it gives his elders brothers place of birth as Pietermaritzburg Natal , so your John may have been born over there. If you do not have an Ancestry subscription I could try and contact the tree owner for you if you'd like.
Regards

Last edited:

jack

Hi Jane,
I did not see this message. It never came up in my email. Please, I would be most appreciative if you could contact the tree owner for me and see what you can find. I have been searching as many of the south african sites i could find to see if he was perhaps born here. There are a lot of Lyles, but also nothing for John Patterson. There is only one record of him in the Archives showing the record but would have to travel to Pietermaritzburg to go to the archives office to search for the death notice. It is unfortuantely not nearby.
I appreciate anything you can find.

Many thanks
Regards
Jackie