• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Donnelly / Donnelly

Appreciate help finding James Donnelly marrying Catherine Donnelly Ms. donnelly. All i know is they married in N.i. About 1847/1851 in armagh.They came to lanarkshire, Scotland abt. 1860.
Not much info. But hope might joke someones memory. Harry

could this be them- I think it could be a 2nd marriage, or Catherine's age is wrong
DONNELLY, James Head Married M 45 1826 Wholesale Flesher Ireland
DONNELLY, Catherine Wife Married F 30 1841 Ireland
DONNELLY, Ellen Daughter Unmarried F 21 1850 Ireland
DONNELLY, Elizabeth Daughter Unmarried F 19 1852 Ireland
DONNELLY, Jennie Daughter Unmarried F 10 1861 Scholar Ireland
DONNELLY, Annie Daughter Unmarried F 6 1865 Scholar Ireland
DONNELLY, Bridget Daughter Unmarried F 2 1869 Ireland
DONNELLY, John Son Unmarried M 17 1854 Flesher Ireland

Piece: 644 Folio: 4 Page: 12

Registration District: Clyde

Civil Parish: St Mary Glasgow

Address: 39, Princes Street, St Mary Glasgow Lanarkshire

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Possible:

Name: James Donnelly
Birth Date: 1823
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Catherine Donnelly
Spouse's Birth Date: 1828
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age: 23
Event Date: 25 Jan 1851
Event Place: Lurgan, Arm, Ire
Father's Name: James Donnelly
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name: Hugh Donnelly
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Race:
Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:
Spouse's Race:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M70204-7
System Origin: Ireland-VR
GS Film number: 101328
Reference ID: 2:3PZPBKN

http://www.rootsireland.ie/

1 match for the search criteria: donnelly (plus variants) james 1851 Parish: LURGAN RO (CP)
1 match for the search criteria: donnelly (plus variants) catherine 1851 Parish: LURGAN RO (CP)

Elwyn

Appreciate help finding James Donnelly marrying Catherine Donnelly Ms. donnelly. All i know is they married in N.i. About 1847/1851 in armagh.They came to lanarkshire, Scotland abt. 1860.
Harry
Did they have any children born in Scotland? If they did, then from 1861 onwards Scottish birth certificates record where and when the parents married. That should help you.

Protestant & non-conformist marriages were recorded in the statutory records in Ireland from April 1845 but RC marriages were only recorded from 1864 onwards. So if they married in an RC church prior to 1864, you won’t find their marriage in the Irish statutory records on familysearch. You might find it in church records (not all of which are on-line) but to do that you really need to know which parish they came from.

Try children’s birth certs in Scotland first and see if that provides the answer.

Elwyn

Further to the above, Rootsireland have a possible match for this couple’s marriage, in Co. Armagh in 1851. That’s a pay to view site: http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com/index.php

With an RC marriage from that period you will probably just get the date, parish, the couples two names and their two witnesses. However with the parish name you may then be able to search further for at least the bride’s baptism and perhaps the husbands. (Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church so the husband may not necessarily have attended there. He may have been from a neighbouring parish).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 24
S Irish Genealogy Roots 2
DaveHam9 Deaths 6
L Other Military Ancestry 4