• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Donoghue Family Tree

Hi, Me Again :)

I am looking at another route of my family tree, the Donoghue's

Here is what I know so far.

My 2nd great grandfather was called Patrick Donoghue and he married a lady called Edith (Eadie?). From looking at birth records I believe Edith's surname was "Johnson" but I could be wrong. They had the following children I am told in this order and were born and raised in Widnes.

Annie
Mary - my great grandmother born in 1907 which I know for sure.
Edith
Patrick
Jack
Margerat

A member of this forum was kind enough to provide me with the 1911 census which confirms the above.

Name: Patrick Donoghue
Relationship: Head
Estimated Year of Birth: 1877
Place of Birth: Lancashire Sacred Heart St Helens

Name: Edith Donoghue
Relationship: Wife
Years Married: 7
Estimated Year of Birth: 1881
Place of Birth: Lancashire Farnworth Widnes

Name: Annie Donoghue
Relationship: Daughter
Estimated Year of Birth: 1905
Place of Birth: Lancashire St Patricks Widnes

Name: Mary Donoghue
Estimated Year of Birth: 1907
Place of Birth: Lancashire St Maries Widnes

Name: Edith Donoghue
Estimated Year of Birth: 1911
Place of Birth: Lancashire St MAries Widnes

I am certain this 1911 census is correct. However I am unable to trace patrick back with confidence and wanted a second opinion.

My living ancestors do not know anything more about patrick and whether he had any brothers or sisters.

I have found a 1901 census document for a patrick donoghue in widnes but the age and place of birth is different although his siblings at the time have very similar names to what my ancestor patrick cain children are called.

Name: Patrick Donoghue
Relationship: Son
Estimated Year of Birth: 1883
Place of Birth: Ireland

Father: Thomas Donoghue
Mother: Mary Donoghue
Siblings: Maggie, James, Thomas, Annie, Mary

Thanks

Gareth

josie7644

Valued Member
Hello Gareth,

In the last quarter of 1904, Patrick Donoghue married Edith Johnson at Prescot Register Office or Registrar attended, which usually means it was a Catholic marriage. (vol 8b page 1132)

If all else fails in the search, you will have the option of ordering this certificate, which will give his father’s name and occupation.

But wait for a little while....

;) Josie

Yeah, I found that record too. At this stage I am not 100% sure Johnson is her maiden name although I think it is very likely as birth records after 1915 show mothers maiden name and the rest of her children that she had that were not on the 1911 census I have found with a mothers maiden name of "Johnson" registered in Prescot with is the registration district for Widnes.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yeah, I found that record too. At this stage I am not 100% sure Johnson is her maiden name although I think it is very likely as birth records after 1915 show mothers maiden name and the rest of her children that she had that were not on the 1911 census I have found with a mothers maiden name of "Johnson" registered in Prescot with is the registration district for Widnes.
Hi Gareth.

I think the time to buy a couple of certs, is here now. (If you haven't already).

Buy them direct from here: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Do not buy them through your Family History web site, as you will be charged a lot more.

OR....as you live in Widnes, you may be able to go to your records office, and look for yourself with out purchasing any certs.

Steve.:)

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

I have bought a few certificates from the GRO direct for other family members on different branches but not this particular branch. Thanks for the warning though I did originally look at buying them through Ancestry and I think they were like £30 each.

I think this could end up an expesnive hobby :D so looking for free might not be a bad idea.

Widnes BMD are registered in Prescot. I'm prepared to travel within reason how do I know where I need to go visit? Would it just be just prescot registry office or do I need to go to the general registry office? Do i need to know exactly what i am looking for or can you generally just go and browse?

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think the records are held at Knowsley, Prescot. But I'm not sure.

OR.... Lancashire Record Office, Bow Lane, Preston, Lancashire, PR1 2RE, UK. Phone: 01772 533039.

Perhaps, give them a call first.

Lancs record office is closed at the moment, but due to open in a few days.

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/web/?siteid=4528&pageid=30539&e=e

Steve.:)

Hi
I believe the two census records you listed are for the same family.
I think it is too much of a coincidence that Patrick is a Chemical labourer in both records His age and place of birth could easily have been a mistake and I think 1883 could be the correct one. Patrick was the only one of the children recorded as born in Ireland and he was 1st born
The marriage of Patrick to Edith Johnson is 1 year before the birth of their 1st child, plus the maiden name of the mother of the later children.

dave

Hi Jayne
1891 - we now have a 2nd census which says his birth place was St Helens.

DONOUGH, Thomas Head Married M 33 1858 Alkali Labourer Ireland
DONOUGH, Mary Wife Married F 33 1858 Ireland
DONOUGH, Patrick Son Single M 10 1881 Scholar St Helens Lancashire
DONOUGH, Margaret Daughter Single F 7 1884 Scholar St Helens Lancashire
DONOUGH, James Son Single M 5 1886 Scholar Widnes Lancashire
DONOUGH, Thomas Son Single M 2 1889 Widnes Lancashire
DONOUGH, Annie Daughter Single F 0 (3M) 1891 Widnes Lancashire

Piece:3011 Folio:98 Page:61

Registration District: Prescot

Civil Parish: Widnes
Address: 39, Nelson Street, Widnes Lancashire

It may be worth a visit to Widnes Library. Libraries often have records for their own area.
My experience of record centers is that the staff are very helpful. They show you where the records are, how to use the microfiche, and leave you to it. They are always on hand in case of questions.

dave

Last edited:
Thanks Toots, I was aware of that website however did not realise that it confirmed 2 particular people did definately marry. Sites such as ancestry and UKBMD prior to something like 1915 just show that 2 people may have married.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 0
DaveHam9 Scottish Genealogy Roots 1
DaveHam9 1841 Census Request 6
DaveHam9 1901 Census Request 2
DaveHam9 1871 Census Request 2
DaveHam9 1871 Census Request 2