• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Down Mr Risboys way?

leefer

From
England
On my daily grind today had a delivery in Tring...decided to take the lorry on the scenic route via Princess Risborough,into Station road and the old Bell Inn...past the rather biggish old Post Office building,amd Horns Lane...hadnt noticed the modernish church before with the rather different roundish roof...then through Monks Risborough onto Great Kimble and past the lovely looking Bernard Arms....couldve murdered a beer!....then the Coop De Grace(good eh)....WENDOVER,got to be one of the loveliest places in England,totally unspoilt with its village shops and thatched roof buildings....didnt see much of Tring as i delivered at Ickfield Way just outa the Town...thaught of Steve and his Rellies...not in a weird kind of way you understand!

On my daily grind today had a delivery in Tring...decided to take the lorry on the scenic route via Princess Risborough,into Station road and the old Bell Inn...past the rather biggish old Post Office building,amd Horns Lane...hadnt noticed the modernish church before with the rather different roundish roof...then through Monks Risborough onto Great Kimble and past the lovely looking Bernard Arms....couldve murdered a beer!....then the Coop De Grace(good eh)....WENDOVER,got to be one of the loveliest places in England,totally unspoilt with its village shops and thatched roof buildings....didnt see much of Tring as i delivered at Ickfield Way just outa the Town...thaught of Steve and his Rellies...not in a weird kind of way you understand!

Thanks Lee, now I'm getting homesick.:)

http://www.locr.com/photos/000/c1/27/c127435f0ea30d36b3bddc62e43d0010_M.jpg?time=1250843566

The church you saw was St.Teresa's Catholic Church, built in 1937. If you had pulled in the layby at Monks Risborough, and had a walk down the lane you would have seen a sight that would put Wendover in the shade.
Next time you are down that way, I reccomend a half hour stroll around Monks Risborough church and surrounding houses. A time warp.

Thanks for that Lee.

Steve.:)

Very nice Steve.....will visit the church in Tring one day.....think some of my wifes family were buried there years back....not sure,but thats the fun bit with churches,even if you find nothing its still nice to look round......went to a church near Leicester last year and couldnt fathom why there was something different about it.....talked to the caretaker and he informed me a prominent member gave a million to to the church on condition that more windows were built in to brighten it up....it was really strange being in a nearly light old church.

So the church is around 900 years old?

Many churches in Suffolk are very ancient. Some are knocking on 1000 years old.

So the church is around 900 years old?

Many churches in Suffolk are very ancient. Some are knocking on 1000 years old.

I love the smaller churches Ben, as opposed to the big cathedral's. They seem more user friendly, so to speak. Not that I'm religious. I just think they are charming and a lot older in some respects.

I do admire the architecture of the big ones, but small is beautiful.:)

I agree. I think smaller churches in rural areas are very quaint and picturesque. Churches in London are nice but most are huge and even in the church you can hear the hustle and bustle of the vehicles and people faintly. In a quiet village church it is peaceful inside and outside in the churchyard.

I agree. I think smaller churches in rural areas are very quaint and picturesque. Churches in London are nice but most are huge and even in the church you can hear the hustle and bustle of the vehicles and people faintly. In a quiet village church it is peaceful inside and outside in the churchyard.

Couldn't agree more Ben.:)

St.Mary's church in Aylesbury,Bucks is right in the centre of town. But in it's setting, you would think you were in a small village, it is surrounded on all sides by really old houses, from the 1500's to Victorian it is a haven of peace in quite a large market town.

In a village church you can wander the graveyards in peace and quiet on the search for ancestor headstones and only maybe bump into someone visiting or even a fellow genealogist. Plus the quietness will be what it was when our ancestors worshipped there.

In a village church you can wander the graveyards in peace and quiet on the search for ancestor headstones and only maybe bump into someone visiting or even a fellow genealogist. Plus the quietness will be what it was when our ancestors worshipped there.

Thats excatly what happened this year Ben, when I visited St.Dunstans Church, Monks Risborough where Leefer drove through.
My brother and I were walking through the church yard, taking photo's of gravestones etc. and a lady asked us if we were from around the area.
After chatting for half an hour, we worked out we were third cousins. More rellies to search.:)

Oi Lee.....you did drive past 'Tilly's' cottage, like we thought.;) :)

Back