• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Ebington Middlesex

gibbo

Loyal Member
Thought i would have another look at my George Gibson, parents William Gibson and Susannah Hutchinson.

His Australian Death cert. states he died on the 24 Dec 1892 aged 62 years 9 months and 22 days. If this is correct he was born 1830.

His Australian marriage cert.[1856] states his place of birth as Ebington Middlesex .

He also state on his marriage certificate his father, William is a jeweller.

I still cant find this place, Ebington, or his birth so thought it was worth another try.

Attachments

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
George's first child was born the year after the marriage. His wife Eliza was the informant of the birth and has noted George's place of birth as Abington England. [Australian birth cert. state the parents place of birth on them]

Attachments

gibbo

Loyal Member
His death cert. 1892 states he had been in Queensland for 52 years so makes arrival approx 1840. If correct he would have been aged 10 on arrival. Nothing can be found on his parents in Australia or the UK. First "sighting" of George been in Australia is his marriage.

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
There is an Abington in Northamptonshire and and Abingdon in Oxfordshire and there is and Ebrington Road nr Harrow. I don't know if this helps or makes things worse :confused:

Amanda

gibbo

Loyal Member
Thanks Amanda. I checked them Abington's out yesterday and couldnt find anything that helped.

Im not even sure if George Gibson is his real name, im beginning to think its a alias name. The only people researching his family are in Australia, no one internationally appear to be looking into him. We have all hit a brick wall at the same spot. No sign of William and Susannah at all here in Australia or elsewhere.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Bit of guess Gibbo.:rolleyes:

FamilySearch.
Name - Thomas George Gibson
Residence Place - Chatham, Kent, England
Gender - Male
Christening Date - 18 Oct 1829
Christening Date (Original) 18 Oct 1829
Christening Place - Chatham, Kent, England
Father's Name - William Gibson
Mother's Name - Susanna.

There is a Hartington Street in Chatham.

If you could see the original film, it may show William's occupation.!

Steve.:)

horse

Loyal Member
I've still got the source details for a William Gibson in hospital 1841, if you want to check the records.

The Qld Early Pioneers doesn't show a George until 1852 :rolleyes:

Still puzzled why nothing from 1840 to his marriage :rolleyes:

Geoff

gibbo

Loyal Member
Bit of guess Gibbo.:rolleyes:

FamilySearch.
Name - Thomas George Gibson
Residence Place - Chatham, Kent, England
Gender - Male
Christening Date - 18 Oct 1829
Christening Date (Original) 18 Oct 1829
Christening Place - Chatham, Kent, England
Father's Name - William Gibson
Mother's Name - Susanna.

There is a Hartington Street in Chatham.

If you could see the original film, it may show William's occupation.!

Steve.:)
Thanks Steve, anything is worth a try :)

gibbo

Loyal Member
I've still got the source details for a William Gibson in hospital 1841, if you want to check the records.

The Qld Early Pioneers doesn't show a George until 1852 :rolleyes:

Still puzzled why nothing from 1840 to his marriage :rolleyes:

Geoff
Thanks Geoff, can you email me the details you have for that William's hospital records please. If i remember rightly i think we checked that one out a while back and there were no further details. But i will try again :)

Im still thinking along the lines of George Gibson not been his real name. Brian has done a DNA to try and find some connection somewhere. A lady and i have been working together as we are at the same stage of not finding anything and still cant move any further with it. [Tho i will admit and give credit to the lady helping that she has done a lot more than me on it cause my head was in other places for a while:rolleyes:] I have bought every record of George's though the State archives and none of them give anything up.

horse

Loyal Member
Thanks Geoff, can you email me the details you have for that William's hospital records please. If i remember rightly i think we checked that one out a while back and there were no further details. But i will try again :)

Im still thinking along the lines of George Gibson not been his real name. Brian has done a DNA to try and find some connection somewhere. A lady and i have been working together as we are at the same stage of not finding anything and still cant move any further with it. [Tho i will admit and give credit to the lady helping that she has done a lot more than me on it cause my head was in other places for a while:rolleyes:] I have bought every record of George's though the State archives and none of them give anything up.
Email sent.

Oh! So the DNA result may still have some effect?

Geoff

gibbo

Loyal Member
Email sent.

Oh! So the DNA result may still have some effect?

Geoff
Thanks Geoff :)

I have no idea how the DNA thing works, it just confuses me redf) The lady who has been helping me suggested the DNA so she has been handling that side of things. Brian had done one before and it showed a very distant connection to someone in America but dont know if that connection comes in from the Gibson side or from the Downe's side or where ever. The lady is in contact with that person in America and they are trying to find where the connection is but to date havent found it. So he did another type of DNA last week so see if that shows anything that could be of any help. Not sure who she sent the first sample to but the one last week was through Ancestry.

horse

Loyal Member
Brian had done one before and it showed a very distant connection to someone in America but dont know if that connection comes in from the Gibson side or from the Downe's side or where ever. The lady is in contact with that person in America and they are trying to find where the connection is but to date havent found it.
If there is a distant connection in the US, by the 1800's at least one of that connection would have to have been in Ireland and/or England, before coming to Aus'..

Geoff

gibbo

Loyal Member
If there is a distant connection in the US, by the 1800's at least one of that connection would have to have been in Ireland and/or England, before coming to Aus'..

Geoff
Or couldnt have someone from England have gone to America generations ago. Such as if ole William might have a uncle who had gone to America, married and raised a family there??
And to think when i got George's marriage cert and it had his age, place of birth, parents names and father's occupation on it, thought i had won the lottery :2fun::2fun: But i hadnt :eek:

Email sent to QLD archives concerning the hospital record. It is the same one i had contacted them about when you found it last time but thought i would drop them another email anyway.Thanks

horse

Loyal Member
Or couldnt have someone from England have gone to America generations ago. Such as if ole William might have a uncle who had gone to America, married and raised a family there??
I guess so, but either way there would have to be a connection with the Gibsons or Downes one way or another [I think].

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
Email sent to QLD archives concerning the hospital record. It is the same one i had contacted them about when you found it last time but thought i would drop them another email anyway.Thanks
More info turning up all the time though, Gibbo..

Strange I can't find that record re the hospital, it was a Gibson and youngster in Brisbane or Moreton Bay Hospital 1840-41 :rolleyes:

Anyway, can't do much else at mo'.

Geoff

gibbo

Loyal Member
More info turning up all the time though, Gibbo..

Strange I can't find that record re the hospital, it was a Gibson and youngster in Brisbane or Moreton Bay Hospital 1840-41 :rolleyes:

Anyway, can't do much else at mo'.

Geoff
Thanks Geoff. Yeah with more info turning up at times im hoping something might have turned up with the hospital record. Even to be able to eliminate it.

gibbo

Loyal Member
When you think about it i dont know much about George :rolleyes:

George educated to some degree, he signed his marriage cert [1856] so could at least read and write. [I have a copy of the original marriage cert. from NSW bmd]

He was a drinker .. judge banned him from drinking or anyone supplying him with drink in 1888. [Trove newspaper article]

extra info..

He owned land - land selection records

His wife was the informant of his death stating he had been in QLD 52 years hence 1840 approx arrival - as we know the informant can get this sort of info wrong.