• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Edmund Pope & Elizabeth Newdigate marriage

Hi, not sure if anyone can help as this couple go way back. Edmund Pope was born about 1496 in Hendall, Buxted, Sussex, and his supposed wife Elizabeth Newdigate born 1550 at Wivelsfield, Sussex. There is tons of information out there on both these people,some with her married to Edmund, but no evidence to prove this, dates etc of them together as man and wife.

I know all the Pope side, but it is Elizabeth Newdigate I need closure on as I like definate proof of a marriage to carry on. It is said her father was Walter Newdigate from Wivelsfield and mother Isabella Hampden from Herts. I have searched everywhere for any details of a marriage for Edmund and Elizabeth with no success so I can verify her parentage. I don't want to copy other peoples info, I need the proof myself. On all the sites I've seen there is an Elizabeth Newdigate daughter of Walter and Isabella, but no mention of a marriage anywhere for her, although there is for two possible siblings Ann and Thomas. I thought perhaps a fresh pair of eyes could point me in the right direction if possible. Any help would be appreciated. I have obtained Edmund Popes' Will he died 26 August 1550, I think his wife Elizabeth outlived him and was hoping some info might be on there, but I cannot transcribe it.

Thank You in advance if you can help.
Jacqui

Robesur

I think that if you read your own posting, you have given the answer to your question.
Edmund Pope died in August 1550, Elizabeth Newdigate was born in 1550. How could this couple be husband and wife. This sounds a typical example of some of the rubbish that gets spread about by someone just plucking likely names from the net and treating it like gospel truth.
As Parish records did not commence until 1538 at the earliest, very few of which survive and of those that do the limited information given makes it very difficult to make a positive identification of anyone, it is almost impossible to be absolutely certain of any family connections.

I think that if you read your own posting, you have given the answer to your question.
Edmund Pope died in August 1550, Elizabeth Newdigate was born in 1550. How could this couple be husband and wife. This sounds a typical example of some of the rubbish that gets spread about by someone just plucking likely names from the net and treating it like gospel truth.
As Parish records did not commence until 1538 at the earliest, very few of which survive and of those that do the limited information given makes it very difficult to make a positive identification of anyone, it is almost impossible to be absolutely certain of any family connections.

My apologies Elizabeth Newdigate was born 1500,a slip of the keyboard. I'll consider myself rightly reprimanded and have already slapped my wrist for not proof reading my post, as I stated I like the proof and do not take the word of websites etc as gospel, it is why I posted question on here, perhaps someone has the answer? and I'm not exactly a newbie at this game, and I do know when Parish Records began, and yes it probably will be nigh on impossible to prove, but I thought it was worth a try.

Last edited: