• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Edmund Pope & Elizabeth Newdigate marriage

Hi, not sure if anyone can help as this couple go way back. Edmund Pope was born about 1496 in Hendall, Buxted, Sussex, and his supposed wife Elizabeth Newdigate born 1550 at Wivelsfield, Sussex. There is tons of information out there on both these people,some with her married to Edmund, but no evidence to prove this, dates etc of them together as man and wife.

I know all the Pope side, but it is Elizabeth Newdigate I need closure on as I like definate proof of a marriage to carry on. It is said her father was Walter Newdigate from Wivelsfield and mother Isabella Hampden from Herts. I have searched everywhere for any details of a marriage for Edmund and Elizabeth with no success so I can verify her parentage. I don't want to copy other peoples info, I need the proof myself. On all the sites I've seen there is an Elizabeth Newdigate daughter of Walter and Isabella, but no mention of a marriage anywhere for her, although there is for two possible siblings Ann and Thomas. I thought perhaps a fresh pair of eyes could point me in the right direction if possible. Any help would be appreciated. I have obtained Edmund Popes' Will he died 26 August 1550, I think his wife Elizabeth outlived him and was hoping some info might be on there, but I cannot transcribe it.

Thank You in advance if you can help.
Jacqui