• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

edward william marsden

msbear

My grandfather Edward William Marsden, a Thames Lighterman, died on 25 Feb 1959 at Lansbury Lodge, Grundy Street Poplar. I have drawn a blank on where he is buried/cremated.

Can anyone help me with further information please, the Bow Cemetery closed in 1966, Mile End Cemetery.. no luck. If he followed any religion at all it probably would have been C of E St Saviours Poplar ?

Lansbury Lodge was an Old People's Home, but is now a Community Centre.

What have I tried so far? .... I paid a researcher at Docklands Ancestors to research his Apprenticeship Binding record and his BMD records which I now have. They said searching for a grave would be time consuming since most churches ran out of space around 1850 and he could be literally anywhere. I have searched off and on but with no luck.

He was buried (or possibly cremated) in the United Kingdom, most likely somewhere in London, possibly in the Tower Hamlets in London. I think it would have been London as he was living (until his death) in a retirement home at Lansbury Lodge, Grundy St. Poplar, LONDON E 14

Any suggestions/pointers/information would be greatly appreciated as I have been living “dunnunda” in Australia for many years and am unable to do the necessary UK legwork required due to my increasing age.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi and welcome to FHUK :)

Have you tried looking for a death/funeral notice in the papers for him? Sometimes they might mention which cemetery they are going to be buried in.

Just another thought, do you know where your grandmother is buried? Is it possible he maybe buried with her?

Last edited:

msbear

Have you tried looking for a death/funeral notice in the papers for him?
No I haven't tried that yet...can you suggest any newspapers around 1959 that are searchable on line?

Sometimes they might mention which cemetery they are going to be buried in.

Just another thought, do you know where your grandmother is buried? Is it possible he maybe buried with her
I don't know where she was buried, she pre deceased him by approx 40 years. She was Eliza Mary Marsden (nee Roderick or possibly Rodrique/Rodriqus. She was born Dec 1872, at Shoreditch East London

I've been looking at the records and what stuck out is that both were born and married around the Poplar area. They had their children in Bromley by Bow which is also in Poplar. The church for Bromley was St leonards in the grounds of the priory
The Abbey was destroyed at the time of the Dissolution, but the church was retained to become the parish church of St Leonards. This in turn was destroyed by bombing in World War II and obliterated by the building of the Blackwall Tunnel approach road, dividing the main residential body of the parish from the river front. All that remains of the grounds of the Abbey is a small neglected churchyard.

It may be an idea to google Bromley by Bow and find the address of the council then email them to see if they can help.

dave

msbear

this may be Eiza. its the only eliza m who died in London between 1890 and 1980

Deaths Jun 1926

Marsden Eliza M 52 Poplar 1c 378

Many thanks Dave,
I think you’re spot on ...my Mother Hilda Marsden was only 18 when Eliza (her Mother) died, so that’s probably my Grandmother.
Do you think it likely that the 52 Poplar 1c 378 information would indicate in any way her burial location? The reason I ask this is that a previous poster has suggested that Edward William might have been buried in the same grave.
Would there be any public records office I could contact in Tower Hamlets that might be able to tell me where Marsden Eliza M 52 Poplar 1c 378 is buried?

Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park is a closed, historic cemetery located in the East End of London. The cemetery opened in 1841 and closed for burials in 1966. Wikipedia

Address: Southern Grove, London E3 4PX
Phone: 020 7364 2494
Burials: John Buckley, Alexander Hurley

if you have not already had a look, google Tower Hamlets Cemetry, then click on Images

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2006

Name: Edward W Marsden
Birth Date: abt 1870
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1959
Age at Death: 89
Registration district: Poplar
Inferred County: London
Volume: 5d
Page: 396

dave

Last edited:

msbear

Dave,
You have been so helpful to me in my search. Many thanks for all the information and suggestions you have given me.

I can now see after looking at Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park on Google Earth and Images, what a daunting task finding anybody would be after WW2, Council changes and years of neglect.

I will try to contact the East of London Family History Society & Tower Hamlets Council (more in hope than expectation) that they may be able to find from their records which cemetery he is actually buried in.

Sadly, Eliza would have almost certainly have been buried in a public grave in 1926.

Best wishes
Chris