• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Edwin Crocker - Lodge Member But which?

From
England
welcomeI’m trying to identify the lodge and colours of the ribbons etc; that my wife’s grandfather was a member of.
He was Edwin Crocker 1864-1956
Location possibilities are;
PLYMOUTH, TAVISTOCK , or PRICETOWN all in Devon.
Although I favour Plymouth then Tavistock.
I’m inclined to favour the date of photo between 1930 - 1956 narrowed again to before 1952 when he moved to Princetown. He was possibly a member some time before this.
He lived at 13 Brownlow Street, Stonehouse from 1920 -1952 & was a shop owner. Prior to this he was an owner fisherman from Beasands in Devon.
I have written to the masons lodge museum sending a photo without reply & done some extensive research but being secret it is very difficult to get answers.
On his sleeve and the pouch are the initials `WP` circled by a Sun I believe the lodge has something to do with a `Ram`.
On the main centre link on his ribbon Chain is a `Ram`s Head`
I tried to cleaned the photo from the original condition hope it helps.
Thanks for looking.
Time Tra4ler

Last edited:
Hi Time Tra4ler, The clothing looks like Freemasons, I have found this site.
It might be of help.
:)Joan

http://www.pgldevonshire.org.uk/genealogy.htm

http://www.victorylodge4189.co.uk/
Thank you joaning, the victorylodge 4189 site did not help. The pgldevonshire.org.uk/genealogy was a previously researched site and was helpfull, it is an avenue to approach in the future when all else fails. The site mentions a lodge which I have previously requested info from but received no reply.
Further research has opened the possiblity that the initails WP on the gold chain & sleeves refer to his position held at time of photo as that of ;
`WORTHY PATRON`
TT

Hi TT,

Could he have belonged to The Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes. The Ram could be a Buffaloes head.
WP Worthy Primo.

Hello juliejtp
That is a very good thought,,,, a buffaloe. we have an `R.A.O.B` which I have visited to check their boards and found no record. I have spoken to staff at the club with no joy. But with the new possible info for `PW` which as you suggest could well be `Worthy Primo` I now have something else to offer.

Hi Dave
The photo mate ,,, I like the chain the closest Ive seen yet. Thanks again.
Things are looking good.
TT

Hi Just googled ROAB images and found a great photo which I think matches the regalia chain in the wifes grand dads photo. So a trip to the ROAB club is a must with new info.
Thanks Dave & Juliejtp
I think we did it.
TT

I am a descendent of Edwin. Apparently all the daughters were sent to Canada around the time of WWI. All but one have passed. Edwin would be my maternal great grandfather. I f you would like to share our family history, you can contact me at .:2fun:

Email address removed in line with site policy and yours/others safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fred

Welcome to the site.

Good luck with your research.

Once you have made 3 successful posts your name will turn green, you can then use the Private Message system to exchange private data with other members.

Geoff

I am a descendent of Edwin. Apparently all the daughters were sent to Canada around the time of WWI. All but one have passed. Edwin would be my maternal great grandfather. I f you would like to share our family history, you can contact me at .:2fun:

Email address removed in line with site policy and yours/others safety.

Hi & welcome Stickleyf amazed at your reply … contact. I have accepted you as friend.
 The period you mention 14-18 war is very vague for us it’s a period of great change in Edwin’s personal life and one we are happy to fill gaps on. We have quit a lot of info but if you could clarify any info or dates you may have so we can confirm the right Edwin Crocker this could save a lot of time.

Our Edwin Crocker b. 1864 -1956 born in Beasands, Devon, Occupation Fisherman/Owner
I have five daughters listed from 1st marriage to Jessie Harriot TRUST b.1867-1945
Maud, Jessie, Florence, Gladys & Alice. My concern is the youngest ALICE was born 1900 makes your sole survivor 115 in my tree ....... Big ? mark
Look forward to your reply
George
welcome

Last edited:
My mother, Charlcie [almost 94, now] is the daughter of Florence [who lived to be 94], the middle of the 5 daughters. All 5 came to Canada [via Halifax]. I believe there were 3 brothers: John, Edwin [jr?], and Ned. I've placed all the information on my ancestry Canada website via Family Tree Maker.

Since little was known about the UK side, most of what I have gleaned has been through Ancestry's hints. That is where I confirmed the 1864 birth date of Edwin.

My mother provides little snippets about: Jessie's visit in or around 1930; staying with Maud and Alice [in Toronto] when returning from living in Texas [when Florence became a single parent].

So, I'd love to hear about the Crocker's of Brixham with any leads to records that may have been kept.

Great hearing from you...
Fred

and, to clarify...
when "I said all but one have passed", I should have said all the daughters have passed and only one descendant of whom we are aware is around [that person being my mother, Charlcie].

Fred

Your clarification seems to straighten out that little point & we have a connection for sure. I’m not sure how much of a family tree you have as not having a `worldwide` Ancestry account I can not do a search.
I have a fair bit of info to share which you will find interesting for sure & help you forward.
My email address is as follows by using this our conversation can be private.
Contact me on:

Regards
George

Last edited:
Back