• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Edwin Shipman

gibbo

Loyal Member
Can someone help me if possible please.
My father was raised by his grandparents and would like to know if there are WW1 army records for his grandfather that have survived. We have no info on his army details to go on so it could be a long shot in finding anything.

Edwin Shipman
born Sept quarter 1884 Doncaster
I assume his next of kin would have been his wife Harriet who he married on the 25 Dec 1905.
He would have lived in the Langwith area at time of enlistment.

Thank you.

gortonboy

Loyal Member
hi,,i dont have Ancestry,so cant check WW1 records,,but he did serve in the militia.

First name(s): Edwin

Last name: SHIPMAN

Calculated year of birth: 1885

Parish of birth: Not Known

Town of birth: Doncaster

County of birth: Yorkshire

Age at attestation: 19 years

Attestation date: 22 July 1904

Attestation corps: 3RD NOTTS & DERBY REGT

Attestation soldier number: 334

Discharge rank:

Discharge corps: Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment) - 45th & 95th Foot

The National Archives reference: WO96 / 810 / 64

gibbo

Loyal Member
Thank you GB and Dave. When dad asked me about it i did tell him not to get his hopes up as some records didnt survive so he will be pleased.
Many thanks.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Just had a yabber to mum on the phone and Edwin apparently was in WW1 and xmas 1914 they stopped fighting for the day and they were all presented with a gift from some royal person. A tin with smokes and or chocolates in it. Below is my great grandfather's tin which my father has. Great grandfather used it well by the state of it:biggrin:

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
I just found this about the box, getting sidetracked about the box now i am:biggrin: it was a fella talking about the ww1 in 2004

Now aged 108 and living alone in Alyth, Perthshire, Anderson still treasures the gift package sent to every soldier a few days before the first Christmas of the war from the Princess Royal. The brass box, which is embossed with a profile of Princess Mary, was filled with cigarettes.

It also contained a cream card, with 1914 on the front, which says: 'With best wishes for a happy Christmas and a victorious New Year, from the Princess Mary and friends at home.

leefer

Loyal Member
Of course it was the future Queen Mary.....have you heard of Frank Hurley the Aussie war photographer,was only young during the war but took some great photos in both world wars....this is one from WW1...i like it because it shows the unglamourous battlefield lightened by a stunning sky...almost like god is trying to have a peek.

gortonboy

Loyal Member
Hi Gibbo,,,there was a 4th page to that Militia record,,,on it it had some details about his length of service,,but it also stated he was discharged under paragraph 59 of some special army order,,i have yet to find out what this means,,,i wondered if he was unfit for some reason ?the reason i mention it is,,if you search the national archives for a medal card for Edwin Shipman,,you get 3 results,,,1 was an Edwin Victor Shipman,,and the other 2 are

Medal card of Shipman, Edwin
Corps:Leicestershire Regiment
Regiment No:13439
1914-1920

WO 372/18

Medal card of Shipman, Edwin

Corps:Army Service Corps
Regiment No:M/287248

1914-1920

WO 372/18

my thinking was that if he was unfit for militia service,,,maybe he would be the one in the Army service corps,,as they did all sorts of jobs ,but did not neccessarily fight in the frontline.??
I WILL TRY AND FOUND OUT WHAT PARAGRAPH 59 REFERS TO :)

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi GB,
Many thanks for your help. I found the medal cards in the national archvies as well but didnt purchase any just yet as i wasnt sure which one might be him. The Edwin Victor we know isnt so that leaves 2, i might purchase them and see if they have anything on them. Wonder if i could be lucky:biggrin:

gortonboy

Loyal Member
The medal cards dont give you much ,,other than name ,,rank,number,,regiment and what medals they were entitled to,,,,however,if it was true that you only recieved that tin box in 1914,,,then the medal cards could give a clue,,,,i believe you only qualified for the "Star" medal if you served early in the war.
Also,,someone with an Ancestry sub can check to see if a service or pension record survives for those 2 service numbers.:)

gortonboy

Loyal Member
1914 Star

Instituted in 1917 for service ashore in France and Flanders between 5 August and 22 November 1914. In 1919 a clasp bearing the above dates was authorised and given to those individuals who had actually been under fire between the prescribed dates.

1914/15 Star

Authorised in 1918, the 1914/15 Star was awarded to those individuals who saw service in France and Flanders from 23 November 1914 to 31 December 1915, and to those individuals who saw service in any other operational theatre from 5 August 1914 to 31 December 1915.

British War Medal

The British War Medal 1914-1920, authorised in 1919, was awarded to eligible service personnel and civilians. Qualification for the award varied slightly according to service. The basic requirement for army personnel and civilians was that they either entered a theatre of war, or rendered approved service overseas between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. Service in Russia in 1919 and 1920 also qualified for the award.

Victory Medal

The Victory Medal 1914-1919 was also authorised in 1919 and was awarded to all eligible personnel who served on the establishment of a unit in an operational theatre.

leefer

Loyal Member
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=167522

Hi Gibbo i asked the question on the War forum regarding his discharge...seems he was allowed home to take part in harvesting:confused:
Put the clip on here as Gorton maybe interested to look at the page with discharge numbers etc.
My guess is that he was either injured or fatigued and this was a rest for him...harvesting is hard work but its not fighting for your life is it:)
If indeed that was the official reason.

Emzyuk

Can someone help me if possible please.
My father was raised by his grandparents and would like to know if there are WW1 army records for his grandfather that have survived. We have no info on his army details to go on so it could be a long shot in finding anything.

Edwin Shipman
born Sept quarter 1884 Doncaster
I assume his next of kin would have been his wife Harriet who he married on the 25 Dec 1905.
He would have lived in the Langwith area at time of enlistment.

Thank you.
I may be able to help with any other queries regarding this as edwin and harriet would have been my great-grandparents

gibbo

Loyal Member
I may be able to help with any other queries regarding this as edwin and harriet would have been my great-grandparents

Well this is a nice surprise :biggrin: Edwin and Harriet were also my great grandparents so that would make us second cousins. Their daughter Mary was my grandmother. Which line of the family do you come from?

Once you have posted 3 times on the forum and your username turns green you can use the private message system.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Deaths 2
DaveHam9 1851 Census Request 5
A Genealogy General Help 0
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 14
DaveHam9 Travel and Migration 27
G 1901 Census Request 3