• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Elijah Shackcloth

Cumbrian

Need help again from this wonderfull forum.I can find the following from his death 1870 down to the 1851 census.But i can't find him in the 1841 census. Looking for Elijah Shackcloth,in the 1851 census it has Shack Cloth.Born abt 1820.South Creake.Norfolk.in 1841 he would have one child Jonathan age abt 4yrs.his wife would be Ann born abt 1817.Thank You.Cumbrian

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Cumbrian,

Could this be Elijah.

1841 - Civil parish South Creake

Elijah Shackcloth age 29 occ ag lab
Amy Shackcloth age 20
William shackcloth age 7
Jonathan Shackcloth age 5
Edmund Shackcloth age 2
Lucriah Shackcloth age 25

All born in county

Cumbrian

Julie thank you,yes this looks like Elijah.His wife Amy is Ann in the 1851 and 1861 census,but in the 1871 she is Amy.How did you find this,i subscribe to Ancestry and Findmypast but i could not find Elijah,mind i don't seem to be much good at finding people.Now to find out when these two got married.Thanks Again.Cumbrian

Now to find out when these two got married.
Hi
Elijah Shackcloth

record title: England Marriages, 1538–1973
groom's name: Elijah Shackcloth
bride's name: Amey Langley
marriage date: 03 Aug 1834
marriage place: South Creake, Norfolk, England
indexing project (batch) number: I02371-7
system origin: England-EASy
source film number: 1471100

dave

Cumbrian

julie and Dave thank you both,julie done what you said on A------y and found Elijah.Dave thanks for the marriage info and the link to IGI site,really interesting looking at all the children etc.Merry Exmas and a Happy New Year.Cumbrian

Hi Cumbrian,
I know it was a few years ago when you posted but I am related to Elijah Shackcloth through his daughter Martha. She left South Creake with lover Absolom Creed Benstead and ran to Jarrow to have their child Janet Benstead. They were married later and moved to Sunderland to have very long and fruitful lives. Janet was my great great grandmother. Just thought it was a nice story to share with you!