• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

elizabeth cox

Gilllisa

Hi, Hope I've managed to find the right place for this plea for help!! I know my gt.gt.grandfather John Hill was married to Elizabeth circa 1850 and that they lived in Monmouthshire, Wales. Believe the town was Brynmawr, Crickhowell. They had three sons, Alfred, John and Thomas and possibly daughter Sarah in the years of 1850-1856. I think I've tracked Elizabeth's surname down as Cox but I would love to have this verified. Also is there any way of tracking Elizabeth & John's parents. Think John was born in Tredegar and Elizabeth would have been born in the general area. I know census returns are iffy but if somebody could help I'd be very grateful!!:biggrin: Gilllisa

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gilllisa,

I'm really having difficulty in tracing this family can you confirm the years.

You would need to get the marriage certificate for John and Elizabeth to see who the fathers are and one of the childrens births certificates will show Elizabeths maiden name.

Gilllisa

Did John remarry to a Dinah George in 1874 district Merthyr Tydfil?
Hi Juliejtp, Firstly many thanks for getting onto this so quickly. I don't know much about Elizabeth ?? except that she was married to John Hill who was born in 1824 in I think Tredegar (I'm not too sure where these places start and finish!!) She died (I think,) in 1856 aged circa 30. They had Alfred in 1850, John Jnr. in 1852, poss Sarah in 1853 and Thomas in 1856. So it's possible that John Snr. remarried but I don't know. The three boys are shown as lodging with a couple of different families in the same parish (John jnr. was 15) He (John jnr) has been quoted in censuses as being a nailer, a puddler and later a stone quarryman, and was married to Mary Ann Pritchard - they lived latterly in Llandough, Penarth and had 7 children John sen. was a nailmaker. The areas that are mentioned are Llangattock, Llanelly, Brynmawr, Crickhowell and Tredegar. I think I must study a map of Wales!!!!!!!! I'm fairly sure on the information I've given you for John - less so with Eizabeth.
Thanks for your help - I certainly need it! Gilllisa

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gilllisa,

To verify Elizabeths maiden name I would get one of their childrens birth certificates (I would go for the youngest childs), then go for the marriage certificate for John and Elizabeth.

Re Dinah on the 1881 census there is a John W Hill age 58 born Tredgar with a wife Dinah she is 56 born Cardiganshire also with them is John Hill son age 27 born Brynmawr. They are living in the civil parish of Ystradfodwg, Glamorganshire.

In the marriage index there is a marriage for a Dinah George also listed is a John Will Hill. Year 1874, district Merthyr Tydfil, county Breaconshire, Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan.

There is a marriage for a John Hill in 1854 district Crickhowell and a Elizabeth Cox is also listed.

Gilllisa

Hi Gilllisa,

To verify Elizabeths maiden name I would get one of their childrens birth certificates (I would go for the youngest childs), then go for the marriage certificate for John and Elizabeth.

Re Dinah on the 1881 census there is a John W Hill age 58 born Tredgar with a wife Dinah she is 56 born Cardiganshire also with them is John Hill son age 27 born Brynmawr. They are living in the civil parish of Ystradfodwg, Glamorganshire.

In the marriage index there is a marriage for a Dinah George also listed is a John Will Hill. Year 1874, district Merthyr Tydfil, county Breaconshire, Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan.

There is a marriage for a John Hill in 1854 district Crickhowell and a Elizabeth Cox is also listed.
Hi Juliejtp Many thanks. I'll go with the birth cert idea I think and see what comes up. I may be wrong but I don't think the first family in Ystradrodwg is the one, partially as John Hill Jnr was supposed to have gone into lodgings at a very early age and a couple of years later he was in a different part of Wales and married. But.... you never know we'll keep an open mind. In the meantime thanks for your help. cheers Gilllisa:) :D

Gilllisa

Hi Juliejtp Many thanks. I'll go with the birth cert idea I think and see what comes up. I may be wrong but I don't think the first family in Ystradrodwg is the one, partially as John Hill Jnr was supposed to have gone into lodgings at a very early age and a couple of years later he was in a different part of Wales and married. But.... you never know we'll keep an open mind. In the meantime thanks for your help. cheers Gilllisa:) :D
Hi Juliejtp, I haven't yet got a birth certificate but will do so, but it now appears that Elizabeth ARTHUR may be the lady's name - married to John Hill in Abergavenny in 1850. This is to update you as far as I have got, but obviously until I have the birth cert of John Jnr. I still don't know for sure. cheers Gilllisa:) :)

Hi Gillisa and Juliejtp

*snip* ...He (John jnr) has been quoted in censuses as being a nailer, a puddler and later a stone quarryman, and was married to Mary Ann Pritchard - they lived latterly in Llandough, Penarth and had 7 children...*snip*
Interestingly this John Hill (according to the 1901 census) was born around 1860 and so isn't probably the son of the John Hill you are after.

This John was my great grandfather and I have his and Mary Ann Pritchard's marriage cert. Unfortunately there is no entry for the parents of John on the certificate. This has completely stumped me :(

I can't find anything at all about him other than what's in the 1901 census.
I'm pretty sure that John And Mary Ann were born just outside Newport in a village called Caerleon (this was in the parish of Llangattock-Juxta-Caerleon).

You say that you've managed to find him listed as a nailer also as a puddler?
I'd be really interested in where you found out this information - it may help me with my tree.

Skip.