• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Elizabeth Fletcher. 1826. Wendover, Bucks.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi all.

Can this lady be found in the 1851 census. She dies and was buried, 10 Mar 1861 @ St Mary's, Princes Risborough, Bucks.

She married Abel Rogers in 1853 @ Monks Risborough, Bucks.

Abel Rogers, re-marries an Elizabeth Wild in 1864.

1841, she is with parents Joseph Fletcher, and Hannah(nee. Elbourn), in Wendover, Bucks.

Just the 1851 census look up please.(at the moment).;):)

Steve.:)

Last edited:

emeltee

Loyal Member
I can only find one Elizabeth Fletcher and she was born 1828 and is married to a Samuel Fletcher so not the one you are after.

Emeltee

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hmmm. Something doesn't seem right.

Only one Elizabeth Fletcher baptised around 1826, in Wendover. Elizabeth daughter of Joseph & Hannah FLETCHER of Wendover, Carrier.

Then there is this....!

Marriage 15 Jun 1849. by Banns
Joseph X BRACKLEY, aged FA, Bachelor of Wendover, Labourer son of Province Joiner, Labourer
Elizabeth X FLETCHER, aged FA, Spinster of Wendover, Bonnett Sewer daughter of Joseph Fletcher, Carrier
Witnesses - Joseph X Rogers Isabella X Holland.

This marriage seems to bear out, in the Census returns, and burial for her....
10 Jan 1896. Elizabeth BRACKLEY, aged 77 of Wendover.

So I think I have the wrong Elizabeth Fletcher.:confused:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Again, I'm not sure if this Elizabeth Brackley/Fletcher is right.........a burial year of 1896, would make her born c1819. But as always, baptism year is not the birth year.
That's if.....it's the right burial.:confused:

I'll leave this for now, and see what BucksFHS comes up with.:rolleyes:

emeltee

Loyal Member
In both 1881 and 1891 Joseph and Elizabeth are living in Paddington, London, both born Wendover. In 1901 Joseph is still in Paddington, a widower now born Denholm.

Deaths
Elizabeth Brackley Mar 1898 Paddington 1a 47 aged 68 (yob 1830 - She gives her age as 62 in the 1891 Census)

Joseph Brackley Sep 1903 Paddington 1a 16 age 75 (yob 1828 )

Emeltee

Joseph's yob should read 1828. When I posted my reply the end bracket seems to have come up as a face although it is a bracket in the original

EDITED: A space is needed between the 8 and the bracket, or you'll get the 'cool' smiley. 8)

Last edited by a moderator:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Ok. I think I've sorted out the Elizabeth Brackley burial, in 1896.

5 Sep 1819 - Elizabeth daughter of John & Mary WELLS of Wendover, Labourer.

Marriage - 23 Mar 1838. by Banns
James(x)BRACKLEY, aged FA, Bachelor of Wendover, Labourer son of David Brackley, Publican.
Elizabeth(x)WELLS, aged Min, Spinster of Wendover, Plaiter daughter of John Wells, Labourer.
Witnesses - Matthew Brackley & Ann(x)Brackley
Bride with consent of father.

So, that's eliminated this Elizabeth Fletcher of Wendover.

Thanks MLT.