• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Elizabeth Forster 1914 Durham

emeltee

Loyal Member
John T Forster married Grace D Robertson Dec 1913 Gateshead vol 10a p1775

Sending for the marriage certificate will give you not only the names and occupations of their fathers but also John's occupation which will make searching the Censuses easier.

I have found Grace Dunn Robertson, born 1893, in Blaydon in 1911 with parents Adam and Mary Alice but there are too many John Forsters to hit on the right one.

I have found them in 1939 living in Blaydon
Grace Dunn Forster 18/2/1893
John Thomas Forster 19/2/1891 Locomotive driver L N E R
plos two daughters Gladys May born 1920 and Margaret born 1931

Hope this helps,

Emeltee

Great thank you:)
You found the right John Thomas Forster 19/2/1893. My father remembers Gladys & Margaret.

How can i buy the marriage certificate for John & Grace when i dont live in England for the moment ?

stockpot

Valued Member
You may well find that John Thomas Forster had no known father.

With his exact birthday, 19.2.1891, there are only two possible children registered, one in Medway, Kent and the other in Gateshead. He is probably the Gateshead one, in which case there is no mother's maiden name given, i.e. his mother was not married.

Looking at the 1891 census for Gateshead (taken on 5th April) there is a John Thos Forster, 6 weeks old, living as grandson to John Forster, 62, widower, coalminer. This John has two unmarried daughters with him, Margaret 27 and Elizabeth 21 so either could be his mother.
RG12
Pc4190
F136
P6

It is worth bearing this in mind when you get the marriage certificate as people often put the name of a step father or just made up a name if they didn't know a father's name.

Good luck with your search
Elaine

Last edited:

stockpot

Valued Member
If the above John Thomas Forster is correct you will not find him in 1901 or 1911.

His mother was Elizabeth Forster, she married John Charlton at Gateshead Q1 1894.

In 1901 the family are living in the house where the Forsters had been in 1891, Dog Leap at Ryton Woodside. with them are Elizabeth's unmarried sister and brother. John Thomas is now called John Thomas Charlton.
RD Gateshead, sub RD Winlaton
ED 20
PC4765
F148
P6

In 1911 the Charlton family are living at Addison Colliery Blaydon and John Thomas Charlton is an "engine cleaner, railway" He is 20 and his parents say married 18yr but he is given as son to John Charlton so maybe he was his real father?

Hope all this helps !
Elaine

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 1881 Census Request 4
DaveHam9 1871 Census Request 2
DaveHam9 Deaths 9
DaveHam9 1901 Census Request 3
p.risboy FHUK General Chat Room 1
DaveHam9 Marriages 6